great blue heron fishing (5)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
haven't been on in a while... my computer died, and it took me a while to get a new one set up and replace all my links... :( but everything is back to work now, so here's a series i shot at Juanita Bay Park yesterday afternoon...

this great blue heron was perched on top of a tree swallows' nesting box at the park this afternoon, but he looked like he might do something interesting at any time, so i stuck around to wait and watch. sure enough, after about 10 minutes, he spotted supper among the lily pads, and i was able to get this series from about 30 feet away as he took a dive and came up with what looks like a nice trout... the actual series is 8 frames, but out of deference to those on dial-up, i've left out several. hopefully these will give you the flavor of the event... ;) 40D, 100-400L @ 130mm, 1/1250 @ f/7.1...

IMG_8081sm.jpg

IMG_8084sn.jpg

IMG_8086sm-1.jpg

IMG_8087sm.jpg

IMG_8091sn.jpg

Cher O

Really beautiful, Rocky.

Great bird, great shots! Canon you say? ;) You'll pry my little Sony out of my cold dead fingers.... Wait! That was yesterday. I'm saving my money. :D

Naw. I can't compete with you guys. It's my Sony and me forever. But I love this site and the photos you people post here. What a treat! Thanks! C.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Great series, very nice! I really like how the water drops are so sharp, it gives a great sense of motion to the whole thing.

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks, everyone... sometimes i get lucky and the critters cooperate! ;) if you're interested, the entire 15-frame series is on my website...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com