Hello from Bothell!

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

B

bryce

Hi everyone. I'm an amature photographer that just recently started taking wildlife photos. I'm hoping to learn a lot from all of you!

Bryce

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I am told that North Creek Park in Bothel is a good place to take nature photos.

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
welcome, Bryce! there's no shortage of good spots around here to shoot; for birds of all types, including waterfowl, raptors, and various tweety-birds - and the occasional otter, raccoon, or coyote - i'd recommend Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland. i shoot wildlife and nature stuff myself, so i'm looking forward to seeing your work!

B

bryce

Thanks Bill and Rocky. I haven't had as much luck in Bothell as I have in Juanita Bay Park and Eide Road. Here's a link to my flickr stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryceyamashita/ Please realize that I've just started shooting wildlife since August of last year so positive criticism is appreciated.

Bryce

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
had a look at some of your image collection... for someone who's just started shooting birds, your BIF shots of owls and raptors are very good indeed! i've not had much luck finding owls, and most of the raptors i've shot have been limited to eagles and the occasional osprey or hawk....

what do you shoot with?

JDueckPhoto

Welcome to the forum. You have a pretty extensive set of pictures and a lot of them are very well done. Good attention to lighting, exposure and focus.

B

bryce

Folks,
Thanks for the views and the comments. I'm not new to amature photography, but I am new to wildlife photography. The biggest challenge (one of many) is finding the right or best locations to get decent opportunities for shots. I've slowly learned how to find the Fir Island Snow Geese as well as finding the raptors around Bow-Edison. I had learned too late for this season where to go on the Nooksack for eagles, so I've filed that away for next year ;-)

Anyway, I've seen some great shots here and hope to learn from all of you. I'm a Nikon guy since the late 70's in high school. I currently shoot with a D800 with a D300 as my backup. My only FX lens is the 80-400 VRII.

Bryce

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to photograph eagles, no need to drive all the way up to the Noosack. The eagles are putting on a good show in Edmonds. Check all the threads in the Wildlife forum with "Edmonds eagles", Pt. Edwards eagles", or "Marina Beach eagles" in the title.

While you are in Edmonds, check out Brackett's Landing, the marsh and the marina/fishing pier as well. The Edmonds Parks & Rec website has pages for all our city parks.
http://www.edmondswa.gov/government...eation-a-cultural-services/explore-parks.html

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Bryce. I'm looking forward to seeing your photography. There are some great photographers here.

B

bryce

Thanks Bill! I'll take a look at those eagle threads. I'll probably be over driving my short lens even with a 1.4 added ;-)

Bryce

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Bill! I'll take a look at those eagle threads. I'll probably be over driving my short lens even with a 1.4 added ;-)

Bryce

Your 80-400 zoom lens should be fine. My walk & stalk weapons of choice for local birds are a Canon 5D Mark III + 4.5-5.6/100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter. My use of a 1.4x teleconverter is fairly recent after Canon upgraded the firmware of the 5DIII so the autofocus will function at f/8.0

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com