herd of elk

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
a herd of elk strolled out of the woods at Ecola state park while i was there last Saturday, and spent half an hour or so just grazing on the lawn, oblivious to all the people with cameras and flashes... it was dusk on a cloudy, overcast evening, the light was "gone", so i had to crank the ISO to 1600, but i did manage to catch a decent shot or two... all handheld with the 100-400L, only resized and sharpened a bit, no NR done...

a young bull, probably about 20 yards away... 105mm, 1/125 @ f/5...

IMG_0396sm.jpg

there were two young bulls in the herd. here it looks like maybe they're engaging in some friendly "practice" for the rutting season ahead... 130mm, 1/80 @ f/5...

IMG_0376sm.jpg

one of the 15 or so cows in the herd... 135mm, 1/100 @ f/5

IMG_0353sm.jpg

and a juvenile, 275mm, 1/125 @ f/5.6...

IMG_0316sm.jpg

I have never seen an elk in person and think these are beautiful animals! I love that dun and dark brown coloring combination. I want one. Do they make decent livestock/pets?

I just told George I want one. He said he sees them all the time going up through the cascades when he runs to Klamath Falls. He assures me, he never hit one with his train. Deer? yes. Elk? No.

I have never seen an elk in person and think these are beautiful animals! I love that dun and dark brown coloring combination. I want one. Do they make decent livestock/pets?

i don't know, Leia... i suppose you could keep them on fenced land, but i'm not sure they'd ever be really tame. perhaps if you raised them from birth...

Then I guess I better win the lottery and find out. I enjoyed the second look today. They really are very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Leai,

I don't think Elk would make good pets. They're big, larger than most horses, and when you get close to a full size one, petting him is definitely not what you're thinking. It's more along the lines of "Wow, you're huge!" and "Don't scare him, you might not like the result..." I have occasionally spooked one, usually by walking through the woods and getting too close to one that's resting, unseen, in the brush. They jump up and crash through the woods like a bulldozer.

I also heard that if you get between a mom and her young, you're in serious danger. (That's typical of most animals, but when Mom is that big, you're really asking for trouble.)

The best way to have "pet Elk" is to do what the folks up near Mt Rainier do. They welcome them in their fields, and don't put up tall fences that might discourage them. The Elk come and go as they please, occasoinally eating your flowers, and you enjoy them in a natural setting. It's quite common for them to stroll through yards nibbling on whatever they find tasty.

We see them at the railroad quite often. Last week I got a real nice view of several crossing a creek, including one nice bull. No, I didn't get a photo, wish I had, but I didn't have a long lens with me.

Hey Nature Girl,

In Oregon at least, it is against the law to own wild animals.... Some people here found a deformed deer, Snowball. They paid for surgery to repair what could be fixed (her legs) and Snowball went on to have a baby, Bucky. They were reported by neighbors. The State confiscated both animals.... End of story. Sort of. They spend a lot of money trying to get Snowball back. They lost. Snowball ended up in a petting zoo because she could not be returned to the wild anyway. Bucky was set free, I believe. How were they better off?

View attachment 1323

These people saved Snowball's life.... Government does not make sense a lot of the time. Rules are rules, you know? Washington may be the same way. I would check it out before I buy any unusual pet... C.

Snowballs story: http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2008/11/appeals_court_overturns_snowba.html

good points. a large bull can weigh upwards of 1000 lbs and stands over 5 feet at the withers. not exactly Bambi... and i think Cher O is right about the almighty State sticking its nose in (even if nosy neighbors don't) - considering Washington's penchant for trying to regulate every aspect of its citizens' lives, i'm fairly certain there's a law against owning a pet wapiti...

I researched. All the elk farms are just hunting habitats. You guys are right.

And Rocky, those photos don't make them look huge. They look deer sized. I didn't know they were so large.

In Oregon you can't keep them without a permit from Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. I know of a ranch in central Oregon that raises them for meat but the practice is not encouraged for many good reasons.

If you want to see one in person there is an elk refuge in Jewell that you can visit in the winter and see them with a telephoto from designated parking areas. Even better, you can ride the trailer when they are fed (fun for kids). It is very popular and you have to make reservations far in advance.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/visitors/docs/Jewell_Meadows_WLA_Broch.pdf

This is the best way to enjoy elk. They can come and go as they please, just as wild animals should. Not far from Tillamook and Astoria it is a great excuse for a road trip. Can't have too many of those.:)

BTW, while our elk have collars, they are a bit more natural, brown leather, no big numbers. When in our briefing when we first arrived the rangers talked about how collars POed the photographers, but explained how it helps them track and manage, a necessary evil. I didnt think to ask what percentage was tagged.

Ruh roh.... Elk hunting season opens in Western Washington tomorrow morning. This will be the first season in 37 years I've not gone hunting for one, my foot with a torn tendon that also pulled loose pieces of heel bone is not up to treking around Mt St Helens.
In Montana there are a few farms where elk are raised for meat.
For those here in Washington there are a few areas later this year and into the first part of next when elk are easily viewable at the Department of Wildlife Feeding stations, one of the best being Oak creek east of White Pass.

That's a good looking herd full of youngsters, thanks for showing. Now I really feel crappy not being able to get out tomorrow. lol

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back