how good is the Tamron 150-600, really?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
okay, it's not a lab test - no MTF charts or lines/mm resolution results. but I care more about real-world results anyway, and as far as I'm concerned, the 150-600 delivers excellent performance for a lens of this type, especially one at this price! this is a 100% crop, no resizing, and more importantly, no post-processing at all... no color or contrast adjustments and no sharpening whatsoever! it may not be quite as sharp as the untouched image from one of the big primes like the Canon 500 f/4L, but those cost well over 5 times as much, even for a used one! for a zoom telephoto, especially one that sells for a mere $1100, this is excellent! when you get images this good straight from the camera, it doesn't take much to make them really shine! 7D, 150-600 @ 500mm, 1/640 @f/9...

Depending upon when you purchased your Tamron 150-600mm, you might want to ask the camera store where you bought it if it needs a firmware update.
My lens had to back to Tamron to get updated.
I have not been out since I got it back yesterday but I was told that the tracking function is vastly improved.

I can't wait until I can get out again. Come on sunshine!

Deka

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deka, i just bought mine about 6 weeks ago, so it has the latest firmware fixes. i haven't had any issues with it at all.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com