ID, Please

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

This shouldn't take long with all the shorebird experts we have here...

This was a quick grab shot before take off with minimal light
Untitled8244rtt.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely a Virginia rail, a very hard bird to find and photograph. I haven't seen one at the Edmonds marsh since 10-26-2012.
3.JPG

i concur. these are tough birds to catch in the open - nicely done! here are a couple more...

IMG_3198%20sm_zps9u5xkse1.jpg

IMG_5524_filtered%20sm_zps8jbhlbu4.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

You guys have some great shots of these elusive little birds.

I called it a shorebird but, allaboutbirds describes the Virginia rail as a freshwater marsh bird.

Nearly every photo I've seen has the bird in foliage on the ground. Do you ever see them in trees?

Chad

Last edited:
never seen one in a tree, Chad. they're definitely marsh dwellers, and, as you've discovered, they rarely come out in the open. they can fly, but not well, and their best defense from predators is concealment, so they tend to stay hidden in the reeds and grasses.

The term "thin as a rail" comes from the Virgina rail. Its spine is very flexible, which allows it to move through cattails without causing the cattails to quiver and reveal the rail's location.

My last rail sightings at the Edmonds marsh were in 2012. That was a banner year for rails in Edmonds, as I photographed them at the marsh and the fish hatchery. The rails have a distinctive call. It was so frustrating to be standing on the #2 viewing platform of the marsh, hear a rail calling less than ten feet away in the cattails below the platform, and not being able to see it.

Here are some Sasquatch shots of a mother Virginia rail and her chick that I took at the marsh in July, 2012. Rail chicks look like fuzzy 8 balls with legs.

1.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

9.JPG

Last edited:
i always thought "thin as a rail" came from comparisons to old split-rail fences... ah, well... learn something every day. you're fortunate to have been able to get photos of the chick... i've seen the babies, but never gotten a picture, though i have lots of shots of the adults...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back