introduction and some photos from a new guy.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

showcasefury

Hi everyone. I am new to photography, about 3 months now, and to be honest photography is the most exciting hobby that I have ever done in my life! I love every challenge that it throws to me. I enjoy all types of photography types, night, portraits, sports, you know it I love it, simply for the challenge to get it right.

I joined this forum with the hope of learning from people, and make new friends in photography. I see that you guys/ gals here have very nice shots.

I am striving to be self taught in this art form. so I really do welcome everyone's CC of my work. that is the only way I can get better, it is to see what I am doing wrong.

Well my gear is a D90, with only 15-55mm and 55-300mm. But soon i will get more gear, but we all know how much camera kits cost. so I have attached some of my work. It is far from anything special, but I am new to this and I am working on composition, and I am hooping to find nice places to shoot at. thanks

You're getting shots that nice after only 3 months? You're doing just great!

You're getting shots that nice after only 3 months? You're doing just great!

Wow thank you for the kind words! like I said I really do love photography. I am always reading books on photography, I am studying pictures from magazines, and online. I just really give my heart to learning the art form. I really need a mentor, so I hope in time I will find someone to help me on my skills. I can't say enough the passion I have for this art form, and the possibilities are limitless to what one can do with photography.

welcome to the forum! like Bob said, you're doing pretty well for only being at it 3 months! then again, you sound very passionate about it, and that will definitely drive you to get better quickly! this is a good forum, with lots of friendly, helpful people who are more than willing to share what they know. look forward to seeing more of your work!

That first photo was my first real attempt at long exposures, and I really like how it came out. I would have done better with that shot, but my 3 year old son was with me on this cold night in Olympia, then he pooped himself. So I had to cut my section short, and I did not have the time to perfect what I was working on.

Last edited:
Yes I am very passionate about this, my wife tells me it is only a phase. but It truly is in my heart. I have endeavored on a lot of things in my life, and by far, photography is "my thing" I always have my camera with me, reading my manual, mags, looking at tutorials, anything to make me better with my camera.

About this forum. I looked around and found that this site had a very good feel to it, and the people seemed to be very nice. There is a lot of awesome work here. I always ask myself how do these people find these awesome places to shoot at... But Then I realize it is also the eye of the photographer that finds the nice shots. So I have been reading on photo composition and now I find that I am getting better shots. I just have to know the elements of composition then look for it when I go shooting.

updated photo

I really did not edit my original photos much before i posted them on this thread. After seeing so many very nice photos posted on this site, i thought that I could do better, I am starting to know what makes a good photo. so I have edited my favorite picture with what insight i have learned from this site.
But I noticed I lost details in some parts trying to correct other parts of the picture

Outstanding composition! I've been into photography about as long as you, but have yet to get up the nerve to post anything. Good on ya! These are very nice. Thanks for sharing.

thanks....

Newlynorwegian I joined this site in Jan, and with 2,565 images on my computer, these photos are the best ones I have out of all my photos. It was not until after I did my research on composition and started really studding peoples work that I started taking better pictures. I was like MAN!!! how come I can't get nice pictures? But I realize that a good picture is all arounds me, one aspect is how I frame the subjects that will make it nice. also I started looking for the rules of compositions when I decide to take a photo. I just got some book from the library and learned.

I wonder if it's common to take so many shots, and be happy with so few? I'm in the same boat as you on this sounds like. Since I got my new camera 9 weeks ago I've taken about 2500 shots and like, maybe, 5 of them. But, I am having loads of fun. You've really got something here. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

I wonder if it's common to take so many shots, and be happy with so few? I'm in the same boat as you on this sounds like. Since I got my new camera 9 weeks ago I've taken about 2500 shots and like, maybe, 5 of them. But, I am having loads of fun. You've really got something here. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Yes, yes it is, especially when you're learning...

OK, so let's talk baseball. You're a young kid, and you're just learning to play. Is it common to play so many games and hit so few home runs? Do you really have to practice so much to get good? What about as you get older, do you STILL have to practice? Will you still strike out often?

Well, photography is pretty much the same way. Even if you shoot in a studio, and have the exposure and light settings dialed in and never change anything, you still won't get 100% good shots. People will move or blink or be posed funny.

If photography was simple, there wouldn't be any reason for sites like this one to exist. The manual would say "Point camera at subject, push button, enjoy your gallery quality image". But it's not that simple, even though it's gotten a lot easier with digital cameras.

It's a huge cliche', but it's also true. How do you become a better photographer? Practice...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back