Isolate The Subject In Your Photographs

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

brian_matiash_isolate_02-824x550.jpg

There are a number of questions that I ask myself when I hunt for a composition. “Would it be better as a horizontal or vertical shot? Should I use a wide or long focal length? Should I consider a higher or lower vantage point?” All of these questions are good ones to ask whenever you’re setting up a shot.

However, one of my favorite questions to ask is also one of the most challenging to answer: “How can I most effectively portray my subject?” In my experience, one of the best ways to accomplish such a thing is to isolate your subject from the rest of your scene. At times, the greater the isolation, the more effective the composition.

brian_matiash_isolate_03-824x1236.jpg

A solitary tree contemplating the world around it

When I say, “isolate your subject,” what I mean is that you should strive to set it apart from the rest of its surroundings. Sure, there are all sorts of ways to make your subject stand out even when it’s surrounded by a bunch of other dominant elements, like trees or rocks, for example. However, there is also something to be said about looking for clean, unobstructed compositions to showcase your subject. One of the most common examples of this borders on cliché but is nonetheless effective: the solitary tree on the horizon.

brian_matiash_isolate_01-824x550.jpg

Don’t get me wrong. I love those types of compositions. I’ve got tons of these photos and will always look for more every time I go shooting. My point is that looking for unique, out-of-the-box ways to convey your subject through isolation can be a very powerful compositional asset.

brian_matiash_isolate_04-824x1234.jpg

There have been many times when I’ve abandoned a photo because it was simply too busy for me. I couldn’t get the subject to pop because of how messy the frame was. The longer I practice photography, the more I appreciate the simplicity and elegance that can come from a disciplined use of subject isolation. It’s a wonderful exercise that I hope you consider the next time you head out on a shoot.

brian_matiash_isolate_05-824x550.jpg

See more of Brian Matiash’s work at learn.matiash.com.

The post Isolate The Subject In Your Photographs appeared first on Outdoor Photographer.

Continue reading...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com