Just my Thoughts

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

I have been crafting pictures for over Two Decades. At this point in time I have been using a wonderful 7D2 for crafting My bird pictures and all my other types of pictures. I recently added a 5D4. Does this camera make my 7D2 obsolete? Of course not. The 7D2 has better and sensitive Af . When using AI servo. When using my weapon of choice, The Tamron 150-600 G2. Has the reach I need when crafting pictures in the Skagit Valley or at Union Bay in Seattle. The 5D4 with the Tamron has great reach and high Iso, plus good AF. I have found so far that the AF on the 5D4 is not as fast in AI servo to acquire its target and lock on as the 7D2 can. For Stills? What can I say, The 5D2 can craft a picture like no other camera I have ever used before.
The reason I write this is. Can or will Canon make a 5D5 or 7D3? DLSR sales have dropped 50% across All brands in the last two years. I plan on using these two camera body's as long as I can. To me both body's the pinnacle of Canon DLSR Tech. R,J

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot disagree with anything you said. My daily arsenal is the 5D3 + 7D2 + 1Dx. I still have my old 7D as a backup, but it seems so primitive compared to the others.

So I have Spent some time in the last few months with the 5DIV. Wonderful camera. But I have to say the 7DII has the better AF. What are your thoughts? You use a 1DX, For the last month I have been using the 5DIV. Yesterday I brought my 7DII to Union Bay to film the Osprey. More reach using the Tamron 150-600 G2. The 7DII clearly has the more responsive Af for BIFS.

Attachments

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last I knew, the7DII has Canon's best auto focus system. That being said, its crop frame sensor does not handle high ISO settings as well as the cameras with full frame sensors such as the 5D and 1Dx series. Over the years I have learned which cameras +lens combos to use based on a number of factors including available light.

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 7D2 uses essentially the sam AF system as the 1Dx. It's by far my preferred choice for birds and wildlife. In theory, a 7d Mk III should be forthcoming soon; Canon discontinued the Mk II last fall, and I can't see them going without a flagship APS-C body for very long. Rumor has it the Mk II will use the AF technology from the 1Dx Mk II, with a bit more resolution. The Mk II's only real failing IMHO is its low-light performance. I hope the Mk III will close the gap between it and Nikon's D500/D850 in terms of high-ISO performance, especially since shooting wildlife in Washington (often dim, gloomy light and shooting in early morning or evening) seems to require ISO 1600 or better on many occasions.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com