Kyrgyzstan

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I continue to enjoy your photos and commentary. Keep them coming as you have the time and opportunity.

Thanks, and I will.

What a beautiful place. So much to see and do! How much longer will you be there?

My Close of Service date is July 2016. Unless something drastic happens I'll be here until then. I have a lot of other travel planned during this time (German, Balkans, maybe Russia & Finland, Turkey, etc) and we'll probably travel for 3 months or so on the way home ending up in either Portland or Seattle.

51) Relics of the past. A bust of 'Father' Lenin and a mural depicting the boating industry the Soviets created here.

DSCF1963-XL.jpg

52) The boat-building yards. The boat-building industry has been dead for nearly three decades

DSCF2134-XL.jpg

53) A greenhouse grand opening. This is part of a large project the organization I'm working with is doing.

DSCF2226-XL.jpg

54) One of many large carpenter bees I see around here. This guy was about the size of my thumb.

DSCF2340-XL.jpg

A few shots from Bishkek, the capitol of Kyrgyzstan. There are more shots from this trip at the bottom of this blog post.

55) One of my favorite spots in Bishkek is the new Putin Pub. The logo is so funny

DSCF1986-XL.jpg

56) On this night they had a live band, they call this Karaoke Night. Not all things have translated from English here quite right.

DSCF1982-XL.jpg

57) This is Dordoy bazaar, one of the largest markets in the world. The little shops are all made of shipping containers with a 2nd container above for storage.

DSCF1988-XL.jpg

58) This is part of the ceiling of the State History Museum. The entire thing is a giant mural and a wonder of Soviet propaganda. Here, you see a twisted version of Ronald Reagan riding a nuke while people protest.

DSCF2041-XL.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Are there many European type Russians left in the country?

Quite a few but they are making up a smaller percentage of the population as time goes on. Especially in the capitol there are quite a few left and many only speak Russian. In the South there are a lot of Uzbek and Tajiks too.

Back from vacation and time to catch up on some photos...

A couple photos from Issyk-Ata, a Soviet-style resort in the mountains near the capital city of Bishkek. More photos on the blog as always: http://wp.me/p5bwRq-XI

59) The view up the valley from the end of the road in the resort. Past here there are great hiking opportunities and natural hot springs.

DSCF2551_2_3-XL.jpg

60) One of my favorite things to photograph in Kyrgyzstan are the thousands of statues and busts of Lenin, the most beloved non-Kyrgyz person here. This is my favorite statue yet.

DSCF2570-XL.jpg

61) I woke up early for sunrise in Bishkek. I love getting up early and walking around when it's quiet. Not even the drunks are up at 7am.

DSCF2766-XL.jpg

62) Plants like these produce hot water, heat and electricity for the city. They are all coal-powered so by late morning in winter the entire city is enveloped in smog.

DSCF2762-XL.jpg

63) Strong winds coming through Issyk-Kul in winter blow spray off the lake which freezes around grass blades...

DSCF3055-XL.jpg

64) ... and benches

DSCF3081_2_3-XL.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back