land ho!

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
one more of the Lady Washington...

IMG_2754sm_filtered.jpg

Nice. Please don't misunderstand, but, I love shooting the Lady with my Canon!

Was this shot over the weekend and where were you?

Rocky I really like your composition on all of these shots!

Yes, they really do look nice don't they? They're also a classic "rule of thirds" shot, with the ship offset to the 1/3 point.

If you were take the same shot and center it, you'd be amazed at how much impact you'd lose in the image. It really makes a big difference!

So true! Nice timing on this shot Bob.

Thanks! It was amazingly difficult to get a shot of the muzzle flash. I was there for all five days, took thousands of shots, and got maybe 3 with good muzzle flash.

Even on this cruise, where I followed the powder monkey around, watched her light the fuse, fired on continuous rapid fire mode, and still have lots of sequences where you see the fuse light, sparks and smoke, and then the next shot has just the smoke from the cannon. The flash is so incredibly fast it's nearly impossible to catch.

In fact, I only got one photo that really has the effect I wanted.

View attachment 2981

Wow, you really did get the flash, before the smoke even appears. I can see why you put a watermark on this shot, rare!

Wow, you really did get the flash, before the smoke even appears. I can see why you put a watermark on this shot, rare!

Yes, amazingly rare... As I mentioned, I was there for the entire event (I was one of the Tacoma Tall Ship's large crew of volunteer photographers), I took thousands of photos, and spent many hours on the water photographing the tall ships, both from on board and on chase boats. That included probably six to eight of the cannon battles. Out of all of those, I got ONE shot like that. Not for lack of trying.... None of the others even came close as far as muzzle flash.

Often skill and good gear will only get you so far, then you simply have to depend on luck, or if you want to make it sound better "serendipity". :)

Last edited:
Went out again today, and proved how hard it is to capture the muzzle flash. Here's the best one I got, you can barely see the flames to the right...

View attachment 3033

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back