Leucistic(?) Crow 4-14-10

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More trips through the old photos. Two links were recently posted on Tweeters about an "Ino" owl recently photographed in Great Britain.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/10/18/rare-ghost-owl-with-white-feathers-spotted-in-britain.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ly-rare-British-Ino-owl-seen-near-Durham.html

According to the articles, an "Ino" bird is one that has the white feathers but not the pink eyes of an albino. The eyes of an Ino bird have normal pigment, which greatly increases its chances of survival over those of an albino. I always thought birds with white feathers and normal eyes were called "leucistic", but evidently there is a difference between leucistic birds and Inos. From one of the articles:

Albinism is a congenital disorder characterised by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the feathers and Leucism is a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the feathers but not the eyes. Ino birds, are a genetic mutation of the two.

On 4-14-2010 I photographed a crow at Marina Park in Edmonds that had white feathers and normal eyes. A leucistic bird or an ino bird? I'll post up the photos and the viewing audience can decide for themselves.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
More photos. I never did see that crow again.

The crow had normal eyes. Its eyes are shut in this photo, which captured the blue eyelids.
06.JPG

07.JPG

8.JPG

09.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty cool, Bill. I think there have been a number of sightings of leucistic ravens on Vancouver Island over the years.

Max

btw- I had my first similar encounter earlier this year, seeing a semi-leucistic robin in Yellowstone.

robin9292.jpg

Max

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back