Little Crater Lake

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

kschaecher

Just a couple I took of Little Crater Lake. This is a small, 45' deep "lake" up near Mt. Hood on Skyline Road as you go to Timothy Lake.

Wow. That is CRAZY! I had no idea that even existed and I too, am curious about it's origins. Very nice capture of it as it definitely shows the depth/drop in it.

I gotta add I did a very quick search and found a site that doesn't explain it's unique formation, but does state that you can sometimes see Sand Hill Cranes in the vicinity. I had NO idea that those birds were in the PNW. Did you see any up there? Has anyone here?

That reflection is one of the best I've seen. You show the water depth and the smooth clear surface very well. It looks like spring water or clean mtn water. Very nice.

Last edited:
Very nice shots!

I gotta add I did a very quick search and found a site that doesn't explain it's unique formation, but does state that you can sometimes see Sand Hill Cranes in the vicinity. I had NO idea that those birds were in the PNW. Did you see any up there? Has anyone here?

Leia - Sandhill Cranes migrate along the western slope of the Cascades. They can also be found in the fall at Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. The ones on the west side of the Cascades nest in Canada or Alaska. There is a flock of Sandhills that nest Malheur Wildlife Refuge near Burns, OR and another flock that nests near Summer Lake. They also can be seen at Klamath Falls NWR during migration.

WOW! Thanks for the great comments. Leia, I didn't see any cranes or any other birds for that matter when I was up there. I saw a bunch of bees through in the flowers along the trail to the lake.

From what I read on the signs at the lake, I guess the bottom of the lake is limestone and there was an underwater river or spring that over thousands of years slowly dissolved the limestone until a hole was created. The water then filled that hole to create the lake.

For those that are interested in hiking to the lake, here's a website that gives a little more information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...tional+Forest+-+Little+Crater+Lake+Trail+#500

The trail is only 800' long from the parking lot and it travels through a beautiful meadow full of lupine, foxglove, and Indian paint brush wildflowers. It's a nice little detour away from the larger, more typical, photographic sites in the Mt. Hood area.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back