Memorial for the Lakewood Four

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
A memorial was held on December 8th, 2009 for four fallen Lakewood police officers. This solemn, yet magnificent tribute included a procession of emergency service vehicles that spanned 15 miles in length and took three hours to go from McChord Air Force Base to the Tacoma Dome. Along the procession route there were many signs of thanks, displays of patriotism and palpable emotions on the part of the participants, the media and the spectators.

At the Tacoma Dome, there were over 25,000 police officers, deputies, firefighters, military personnel and other emergency service workers in attendance as well as family, friends and citizens affected by this horrific tragedy. Security was tight with several heavily armed SWAT teams keeping watch over the crowds. Part of the massive crowd in the Tacoma Dome included over a thousand officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, (RCMP), various Canadian police agencies, over 110 officers from Boston and officers from New York, Utah, Montana, California, Oregon, Idaho and more.

The ceremony involved Honor Guards from several agencies, eight Bag Pipe Corps, remarks from Lakewood Mayor Doug Richardson, Chief Bret Farrar, several Chaplains, comments from family and friends and a video presentation about the tragedy and the officers' lives. Lakewood Police Officer Gene Sievers sang "The Dance" and Governor Christine Gregoire spoke.

The mourners gave a standing ovation to Austin, Jamie-Mae and Gavin Richards. These three incredibly well-spoken children did a great job of showing their love and respect for both of their parents in their eulogy of their father Greg Richards.

These photos are my way of saying thank you to Sergeant Mark Renninger, Officer Tina Griswold, Officer Ronald Owens and Officer Greg Richards. Thank you for your service, dedication and ultimate sacrifice. Thank you also to all the men and women in the military services and all police, fire, medical and emergency services for putting your lives on the line every day so we can live freely and securely in this great country.

Tina, you will be missed! To you my fellow little spitfire friend!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Such a senseless murder of four of America's finest. My thoughts go out to them, their families and friends.

This is a wonderful set of photos done in tribute. I may have missed something posted prior but it seems that at least one officer was a friend of yours. My thoughts to you as well.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com