MT Erie Christmas Day sunrise

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

rlhagemann

I don't have allot of favorites from 2009 and I've never posted a photo here so here goes nothing. This shot was taking on Christmas Morning. My husband and I both knew it was going to be really cold out which meant the visabity was going to be clear with little if any haze. So we got up right before sunrise and drove up to the top of Mt Erie. I set my Nikon D200 on Aperature, cloudy +3 whitebalance, long exp noise reduction on, sat my camera on a tripod, turned the VR on my 18-200 lens off. Set the camera color to vivid ++, and hooked up a shutter cable. On this shot I used a ND gradient filter 121M. It was still pretty dark so the exposures were long.

Wow, my first post a quote of Ansel Adams ...I'm honored. Now I just have to figure out how to add more photos to this thread. I do have a few more but wanted to figure this out before I wasted my time finding them.

More Favs from 2009

Thanks to Randall Hodges and his Out in the Field Photography lessons I really learned how to use my camera. What a difference this made from previous pictures I've taken of the most photographed mountain ever. Those skills worked nicely when shooting the Xmas day shot off Mt Erie toward Mt Rainer. Again shot with my Nikon D200 18-200 lens. Tripod, shutter release, long exposure aperture priority set to 22, ND gradient filters, white balance set to cloudy +3, a circluar polorizer, VR turned off, ....I think that's it.

rlhagemann, the Ansel Adams quote is Jan's signature. ;)

Very pretty images. Where is Mt Erie? What is the altitude that you were at during the first shot?

Very pretty images. Where is Mt Erie? What is the altitude that you were at during the first shot?

Mt Erie is near Anacortes, WA, halfway between Anacortes and Deception Pass.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=Mount%20Erie%2C%20WA&encType=1

What's nice about it for photographers is that you can drive to the top of it. The altitude isn't as high as it appears, the mountain is less than 1300 feet tall. But much of the surrounding area is at or near sea level, so it looks like you're in a plane. As an example, in this shot, except for the lake in the foreground, all of the water is Puget Sound, which of course is at Sea Level, give or take a few feet depending on the tide.

In his shot you see Lake Campbell in the foreground, then Deception Pass and finally Mt Rainier off on the distant horizon. She's looking to the southeast, and Seattle and Bellevue are in that direction, but not visible in the shot. I don't think you could ever actually see them, though I suspect you might see their light at night.

Thank's for posting the Mt Erie info. I've been out of town for the past week. You did a much better job at describing it that I would have anyway. lol.

Thank's for posting the Mt Erie info. I've been out of town for the past week. You did a much better job at describing it that I would have anyway. lol.

Thanks and glad to see you're back.

Now it's your turn... Where are the Mt Shuskan photos taken? It doesn't look like Artists Point, but I'm not familiar with that area so I could be mistaken. I like the last two, they're different from what you usually see.

You drive all the way to the top (aritst point) . There is a path that runs over to your left as you get to the parking lot... just keep following it up and around to the left. There are some small upper ponds you will run across. It's pretty popular in the summer. The trick is to get the "shot" without anyone in it. There were quite the heated discussions from folks that where there that thought they owned the mountain and were mad that others were there too. It was a weekend so I'm not sure what they expected. Going during the week during the peak months is best if you don't want any other people around. One the weekends there are bus loads and bus loads however they don't normally stay till dusk, which you need to do for this shot.

Mt Erie -

rlhagemann, the Ansel Adams quote is Jan's signature. ;)

Mt Erie is on Fidalgo Island (where you find Anacortes). I got married atop Mt. Erie. The pix are awesome!!!
A couple of these look like they might be the top of Mt. Index, though never having climbed it I'm only judging from other pix I've seen.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back