Mystery Sandpiper 8-13-2010

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been going through old photos stored on hard drives and deleting ones that are bad or repetitive. The process has been very educational as I ponder why a photo was bad and what I can do to take a better one. At the rate I am going, I don't know if I will ever get through them all.

I came across photos of a lone shorebird that I took on 8-13-10 at Shell Creek Spit in Edmonds. The spit can be seen during low tide by looking north up the shoreline from Sunset Ave. or Brackett's Landing. Birds use the spit as a source of fresh water for drinking and bathing.

At first glance the bird looks like a dunlin, but its body seems taller and thinner and its legs seem longer. It also appears to be a lighter color than dunlin that I have photographed in Edmonds, especially in the breast and neck. I wonder if it could be a curlew sandpiper, a native to the Siberian Arctic that closely resemble dunlin. According to the the Audubon Guide to North American Birds, a few curlew sandpipers turn up on the Atlantic Coast every year, but it is only a rare visitor to the rest of North America.
http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/curlew-sandpiper

There have been reports in Tweeters of sightings of curlew sandpipers in Washington. I would like to hear the opinions of others as to whether this is a curlew sandpiper, just another dunlin, or some other bird. I have more photos, but these are the best. The bird was by itself, so there are no photos of it with other birds for a size reference.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Last edited:
The coloration and patterns around the face and neck look right, and I believe we can see a slight downturn at the end of the bill. It seems your ID may be correct.

Max

I received an e-mail from a prominent local birder who believes it is a curlew sandpiper. Several people suggested I submit my photos to the state committee that certifies rare bird sightings (can't recall its official name). I have started that ball rolling.

I got a reply back from the Washington Bird Records Committee of the Washington Ornitholigical Society (WOS). . They don't believe it is a curlew sandpiper but most likely a stilt sandpiper, citing a number of spotting features.

I received one inquiry asking for particulars as to why the committee did not think it was a curlew sandpiper. Here is a portion of the e-mail I received.

I wanted to report that the Committee voted NOT to ACCEPT your report of a Curlew Sandpiper on 8/13/10, at Shell Creek Spit, Edmonds, Snohomish County. The Committee felt the details in the photo pointed more likely towards Stilt Sandpiper as the identity – the leg color might be obscured through lighting, the legs look too long for Curlew Sandpiper and more accurate for Stilt Sandpiper, and the bill does not look down-curved and attenuated enough for Curlew Sandpiper, though it would fit well for a Stilt Sandpiper. Another alternative, if the leg color is accurate as portrayed in black: Western Sandpiper on alert – the bill could still work for that, and the legs might still be ok for that. Overall, the committee felt Curlew Sandpiper was unlikely for this sighting.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back