Orcas 4-9-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday afternoon I was alerted to the presence of four orcas in Puget Sound. The female adult and three juvies are a pod of transient orcas that are familiar to whale watching groups. The orcas first appeared off Richmond Beach, which is south of Marina Beach Park in Edmonds where we were set up. Whale watchers among us said that judging from their behavior, the pod was hunting seals, sea lions, or harbor porpoises.

Several sea lions, and seals swam past us, heading north ahead of the pod. In the lower part of this photo, you can see what looks like a harbor porpoise coming up for a breath of air while an orca breaches in the distance.

IMG_0001.jpg

Two orcas breaching.
IMG_0002.jpg

Three orcas breaching.
IMG_0003.jpg

One breached very close to a small fishing boat.
IMG_0004.jpg

I got better photos as the pod swam north past Edmonds on the far side of the Sound. You can see the white of the orca's body in this photo.

IMG_0005.jpg

All of these photos were taken with my 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod. Given the distance and heat waves coming off the water, I doubt the photos would have been any better had I used my 2x teleconverter.

I figured I'd better register on this website so I can admire and extend positive comments. Thanks for posting pics of your iconic Killer Whales. This site will also serve as another source for learning wildlife photography.

BTW Bill, the Avatar I posted is an acrylic piece painted by my youngest daughter Whitney, you met her when I brought the 916 up to Seattle and traded it for the MTS. The painting is titled "Yoda in Space". She did it for me and my interest in astrophotography. What I really wanted was a painting of a cat's face with space being the background, but she sold it.

Last edited:
Good having you here, John. There is a section for astrophotography that you may want to post photos in.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back