Owl Season 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Max's recent photos of the long-eared and short-eared owls reminded me that it is time to start a new edition of the annual owl thread that JaniceL started in 2013. No owl new photos from me yet. :mad:

Last edited:
Long-eared Owls - Eide Road, Stanwood

Since my wife and I went to the Eide Road area in Stanwood to shoot the long-eared owl(s), thought this might be a good starting point for the year. Throngs of people, but everyone was polite.
These were taken on January 8th (Thursday). Best time was late afternoon just before dusk. Tough to get a clear shot, because of the dense brush and abundant twigs.

My best shot of the day - late afternoon.

1-8-2015 long-eared owl eide rd_0570.JPG

These were taken at about noon - tough lighting, but the preening was fun to shoot :)

1-8-2015 long-eared owl eide rd_0463.JPG

1-8-2015 long-eared owl eide rd_0465.JPG

1-8-2015 long-eared owl eide rd_0471.JPG

Good shots. I remember how difficult it was two years ago to photograph the long-eared owl hidden in the bush near Boundary Bay, BC.

I went up to see the long-eared owls today, my first time with this species. They're such a treat to see!

20150110-2R6A1083_edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. let the owl games begin.

Great shots. Man, I'm going to have to crank it up this year LOL

Owl fans may be interested in this bit of news, even though it is not in the PNW.

The great horned owl in Oklahoma City returned to its nest and laid eggs this month. The nest cam is back up. Some of you may be interested in following the exploits of this owl family via the nest cam. Scroll down the website to read the history of this pair of owls and the nest cam:

http://www.ustream.tv/okcowlcam

Are any of the PNW great horned owls, such as the pairs at Tualatin and Nisqually National Wildlife Refuges, nesting?

Great long-eared owl shots - wow!

And the cam is so cool - sure is something that the owl keeps nesting in a flowerbox on that ledge. Thanks for sharing this, Bill, can'tw wait until the eggs hatch!

Haven't posted here in quite some time, but I think it is time I got my tookus back in gear. I have not had the Long-ear out in the open nicely yet, but I did have one fly right in front of my nose pre-dawn one morning, scared the jeebies out of me.

So, I'll have to make due with a couple of recent Short-ears. These were from a rather dull day, but I liked them anyway.

Just Cruisin' #1
p395758692-5.jpg

Just Cruisin #2
p301388219-5.jpg

Takeoff - All the other photographers other than myself and a friend were on the other side of the tree, where the owl was facing. I just knew this little bugger was going to take off the other way, and BINGO!, right at us
p233763198-5.jpg

Pre-dawn landing-I'm debating on removing the sign, what do you think?
p623313707-5.jpg

Great shots, Bill. Friday, Terry and I were saying how much fun it is to photograph short-eared owls due to their daylight hunting and the way they stare at you in flight. I have photographed our local eagles so much over the last 5-6 years that I can anticipate when and in what direction they will take off. It is probably the same with you and the owls.

I don't use Photo Shop and therefore would keep the sign on the last photo if it were mine. It establishes an identity and location to the photo.

Last edited:
Super shots, Bill D.! Wonderful to see. I would be inclined to remove the sign too - easy to do and not affecting the bird image itself. BTW, what gear were you using....

Hardly any competition for the fantastic long-eared/short-eared shots but this Barred Owl and I have developed a pretty close relationship for the past several weeks. He seems to be playing a "where's Waldo" game with me to see if I can find him....and I often do.

BADO0117.jpg

BADO0103.jpg

BADO0111Two.jpg

BADO1114.jpg

BADO1117.jpg

Nice Tyler. A treat to see. Its amazing how patient these owls are, given the crowds.

Thanks, Terry

Bill - you have some wonderful short-eared owl flight photos! Do you have any tricks to keeping the focus on them?

Here's a perched short-eared owl from Stanwood today.
20150119-2R6A1390_edit.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back