Parkscapes

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (12-9-15) I went back down to "Lake Edmonds." After another night's rain, the water level appeared even higher than the day before. A piece of driftwood which has been by the #1 viewing platform for years floated a little to the east and even closer to the boardwalk.

Looking directly into the glare and reflection off the water on this sunny late autumn day, I tried a different technique. I mounted the 5DIII + 17-35L wide angle zoom to a tripod and shot in HDR + AV mode at f/22 and auto ISO. ISO settings varied between 800 and 1000, shutter speeds varied between 1/250 and 1/320.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

NOTE: For better or worse, this is my 3000th post to this forum.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More high water shots from the marsh, taken Thursday afternoon (12/10/15). it is a challenge working around the low sun to photograph the water while avoiding the glare and reflection.

From the 1 viewing platform. Herons huddles on high ground.
02.JPG

Looking southeast. The three tall trees in the background left of center are on the fish hatchery grounds.
03.JPG

My son Daren standing on the #3 viewing platform.
04.JPG

Looking southwest from the #3 viewing platform.
01.JPG[SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (1/22/16) Daren and I went down to the marsh where we ran into Michael and Stefan. I think Lake Edmonds has risen to record levels after Wednesday/Thursday's storm dumped over an inch of rain in the area. The water is up to the viewing platforms and boardwalk.

(Main) Viewing Platform #2.
01.JPG

The driftwood near the #1 viewing platform has floated up and wedged itself under the boardwalk.
02.JPG

Looking east from #1 viewing platform. Look for familiar objects and features from my other photos of the marsh, such as the fence posts.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Looking south from #1 viewing platform as a train crawled past.
05.JPG

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Lake Edmonds" is right! wonder how long it'll take for the water level to drop back to normal...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I accidentally hit the shutter button while the camera was pointed down and took this photo of the water lapping beneath one of the viewing platforms.
06.JPG

Viewing platform #3, located by the outdoor tennis courts.
07.JPG

Looking west from platform #3. The boardwalk and viewing platform #1 are in the distance on the far right.
08.JPG

09.JPG

A rainbow appeared to the north.
10.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday afternoon (2/27/16) at the marsh. The raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds stood out against a cloud that resembled a snowy mountain peak.

01.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below freezing temperatures have caused a light snow of a few days ago to remain on the ground at the marsh on Wednesday 1-4-17.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

A killdeer braves the cold.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I call this photos Portraits in Sepia. Taken at the marsh on 2-14-17. Many of the cattails are "fluffed" out and should make interesting photos when back lit near sunset.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday's (9/5/17) smoke from wildfires in the area gave the marsh a surrealistic look. I used the HDR feature of my camera to effectively capture the mood.

IMG_0001.jpg

Terry O

This is a beauty, Bill. Nicely done.

Even I took a shot of the sun this evening around 6. Used the 500. I tried HDR, but ended up just using manual settings. Reminded me of the eclipse.

Terry

9-5-2017 smokey sun at 6P_2457.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the changing of seasons, the marsh is taking on an autumn look. Taken Friday the Thirteenth (10/13/17).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Herons are returning to the marsh in response to the high afternoon tides.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the seasonal closing of the tide gate and a day of rain, Lake Edmonds returns to the marsh.

Wednesday (11-22-17) shortly before sunset.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the sentinels of the marsh.
04.jpg

Lots of waterfowl flock to Lake Edmonds.
05.jpg

06.jpg

Looking west from the #3 viewing platform, located opposite the outdoor tennis courts.
07.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odd cloud formations were visible Tuesday afternoon (12/12/17) as I looked southeast across the marsh towards the fish hatchery.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although the winter solstice is still two days away, the marsh already had its winter appearance Tuesday afternoon (12/19/17). The day's rain signaled the return of Lake Edmonds. The light sky or water may have been playing tricks with the camera's light meter, as I had to shoot at +1 exposure compensation to recreate the scene before my eyes.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com