Parkscapes

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday's (2-2-18) rain gave the marsh a surrealistic appearance.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fascination with the marsh at winter continued on Valentine's Day (2-14-18).

5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zoom.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (2-15-18) was grim and gloomy, so I tried to brighten things up with the HDR settings of my 5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zoom.

Art Bold is a little too bright.
01.jpg

Art Standard creates a different effect without looking like a 60's acid trip.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a new/used 16-35L wide angle zoom from Kenmore Camera. Photos from my old 17-35L wide angle zoom were very soft on the edges. I took the following shots Wednesday (3-7-18) at the marsh with the new/used lens set at 16mm using my 7DII. I think the edges look good.

These two were taken handheld in M mode using the camera's HDR feature. Settings = 1/250, f/16, auto ISO.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

These two were taken handheld in M mode without HDR. Settings = 1/125, f/16, auto ISO.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

The 16-35L zoom works well with the crop-framed 7D and 7DII while the 24-105L works well with the full framed 5DIII and 1Dx.
I am going to try the following setups for awhile: 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, and 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday (3-9-18) was sunny and a better day to take photos with my new/used 16-35L wide angle zoom. All photos were taken at 16mm at f/16.

Looking south from the #4 viewing platform with the 5D Mark III (full frame sensor).

01.jpg

02.jpg

Looking west from the #3 viewing platform the 7D Mark II (crop frame sensor).

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a difference a day can make. It rained most of Thursday (3/22/18), but cleared up in time (courtesy of a cold wind from the south) for the World Water Day tour of the marsh put on by the Sierra Club.

01.jpg

The following day (Friday, 3-23-18) started out with snow followed by sunbreaks (a Seattle weather term) between passing squalls of rain, hale, and sleet. It stopped snowing when I arrived at the marsh, but storm clouds were quite literally on the horizon. I took a few photos but packed it up when raindrops started to fall, followed by hail.

001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spring is here and soon the deciduous trees that border the marsh will be leafing out into various shades of green, although there are a few coniferous trees that remain green year round.

IMG_0001.jpg

Backgrounds of orange and brown will soon change to green.

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have spent much time over the past several years photographing wildlife at the Edmonds marsh. Information on the marsh copied from the Bird Fest website:
The Edmonds Marsh is one of the few urban saltwater estuaries remaining in the Puget Sound area. Before settlement this salt marsh occupied nearly 40 acres of barrier estuary and marsh complex, a rare geologic and biologically rich coastal ecosytem. Development reduced the marsh to its present area of 22.5 acres, which is now being restored and preserved for wildlife habitat, water quality and public enjoyment.

When I first started photographing the marsh, the marsh side of the paved walkway between the #2 (main) and #4 (eastern) viewing platforms was a series of blackberry brambles. EarthCorps and the Puget Sound Stewards, a volunteer group that works with EarthCorps, removed the brambles and replaced them with native plants under a grant from the Hazel Miller Foundation. The City of Edmonds has since provided some funding and contracted with EarthCorps to keep supporting the program. The stewards continue working in the marsh, as well as many other parks in Edmonds.

Students from the Students Saving Salmon program at Edmonds-Woodway and Meadowdale High Schools work with volunteer Joe Scordino on monitoring the water quality of the marsh and the two creeks that feed it.

The Edmonds City Council has established a fund to help support restoration and preservation of the marsh. Anyone wishing to make a tax deductible contribution to the Marsh fund can submit a check designated for the Marsh Restoration Fund to the City of Edmonds, 121 5th Ave. N., Edmonds, WA 98020, attention Carrie Hite.

This is what it looks like today (4-2-18) just east of the #2 platform.

IMG_0002.jpg

Where you now see native plants was once blackberry brambles.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continuing east towards the #4 viewing platform. Notice the piles of sticks and brush. These were left as habitat for insects and ground dwelling birds.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has helped with the various marsh restoration projects.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took these shots Thursday afternoon (4-12-18) from my usual location at the #2 (Main) viewing platform. The trees that surround the marsh are leafing out and new cattail shoots are poking their way up through last year's dead vegetation.

01.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fifty Shades of Green could be the title of these shots of the marsh taken Friday (6-29-18). Several of us have noticed that the foliage at the marsh is much more lush than in years past. Some of our photo view angles have been blocked due to the plant growth.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have asked some knowledgeable individuals why there has been the sudden, explosive growth of foliage at the marsh this year. The answers can be summarized as it is probably just the right combination of rain + sunshine at strategic times this spring.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taken on 8-21-18, this photo shows the heavy smoke from wildfires that hung over the Puget Sound region for much of August.

01.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first sunset of September (9-1-18) gives a hint of the upcoming autumn. Next time I'll have to bring a wide angle lens.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Autumn is coming to the marsh. I think "Lake Edmonds" is due to a high tide as it has not rained much in town. Tuesday afternoon (10-2-18).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com