Patagonia 2017 Wildlife & Scenery

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

In May I led a photo tour in southern Chile. Our main goal was the puma (it's the best place in the world to photograph those cats in the wild), but there's plenty of other cool subject matter to see and photograph. Patagonia and particularly the area around Torres del Paine National Park offers numerous wildlife and landscape photo ops. I've posted a gallery of (non-puma) Wildlife & Scenery images on my website. A short preview is below.

We started off with Chilean flamingos flying right past shore.
flamingochilean0517patagonia38.jpg

The culpeo is one of two canid species we saw. Though it's nicknamed "red fox" down there, it's actually a distinct species.
culpeo0517patagonia23.jpg

We saw a number of Austral pygmy owls, which are very cooperative.
owlaustralpygmy0517patagonia27.jpg

If you haven't noticed, the autumn colors were spectacular. It was fun experimenting with long exposures, including when zooming or spinning the camera during the exposure.
trees0517patagonia9.jpg

Guanacos are ubiquitous, and often pose nicely in front of the mountains.
guanaco0517patagonia33.jpg

The large hairy armadillo is one of a few smaller fascinating mammals one can find in Patagonia.
armadillolargehairy0517patagonia2.jpg

Though it rained for much of the week, we got a few clear views of the famed Towers of Paine during the trip.
mountains0517patagonia30.jpg

Check out the full gallery here. (Puma photos to come!)

Max

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com