Patriot Flag Takes Flight

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

On Tuesday, January 4, 2011, The Seattle Fire Department in honor of the victims of 9-11 took place at Seattle Center. The Patriot Flag, a memorial flag which is making its way across the United States, will be flown between two Seattle Fire Department trucks. The flag has been traveling from one city fire department to the next since last September. The final destination will be New York City to mark the ten year anniversary of 9-11 next September.

FedEX and Alaska Airlines have provided free transportation for the 150-pound crate which houses the 30 x 58 foot flag. The Olympia Fire Department delivered the flag to Seattle and it will be sent to Providence Rhode Island on Wednesday, January 5, 2011. For more information on the Patriot Flag Project go to http://www.publicsafety.net/thepatriotflag.htm

Feel free to leave comments...

View attachment 5252

View attachment 5253

View attachment 5254

View attachment 5255

Last edited:
Nice shots. I like how the first one has the space needle in it, that real establishes a sense of place.

It's rather challenging to take a photo of something that large, isn't it?

Something was bothering me about the shots and I finally realized what it was. Why are there no other people present? I see maybe one other photographer. You would think that something like this would draw a lot of people in a place as busy as Seattle Center.

That doesn't really detract from the photos though, and it probably helped you get good shots, but it just seemed a bit odd.

I thought it would be cool to see but I heard about it on the radio at 7 AM for that day and also heard it was only 30 mins . . . so no-go for me. Glad to see you made it.

Yes, and it's not really exciting news either. It's already happened, and while it's a bit of a feel good story, it's not tragic enough to be headlines, and it's not good enough to be hard news. "9/11? Wasn't that like 10 years ago? In New York? Hey, do you have the sports section?"

Like it or not, Jake's right, profit motive plays a big part in most media. "Good News" isn't a big seller most days, unless it's something that directly affects the reader (tax cuts, better economy, sunny weather for the weekend...) That's why you don't hear a lot of "Boy scout helps little old lady across the street... Film at Eleven!" unless there's more to the story that just that.
"Little old lady gets ran over while Boy Scout is helping her across the street" . . . that'll sell :)

"Little old lady gets ran over while Boy Scout is helping her across the street" . . . that'll sell :)

Exactly! Had they ripped the flag, dropped it, tipped over one of the trucks. Front page headlines. They displayed it properly, respectfully and safely, then packed it up and sent it on it's way (Or so I presume)? Not news...

You'd think that as big as an event as 9/11 even over 9 years ago that it would still have an impact on a US Flag Event, I would be honered to be there and see it first hand for something that will fly above 9/11's ground zero. I dont ever see myself visiting 9/11 grounds first hand face to face, not because I dont respect all those killed and their families. I dont know....maybe some time in the future I need to MAKE time and go. Trust me, I will have my camera equipment and get a few hundred shots...even if I have to get them on full auto settings.

A few years ago I tried to believe 9/11 never happened, since something so horrific as that we all want it to go away, but we cant change history, so I have to except it.

Patriotic shots, particularly the flag, are my favorites :) 1 and 2 are my favorites...love the compostion and they evoke emotion...nice job.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back