Photo uploading just go easier!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
The new forum software will automatically re-size your images, so you no longer need to do it manually. This image was 3500 pixels wide, it's been re-sized to 2048 pixels wide by the forum, which also reduces the file size. Files larger than 1 MB will still need to be reduced prior to uploading.

DSC_0946-Edit.jpg

Of course if you want finer control on the compression and re-sizing, you can still do it yourself and then upload the smaller sized file. The 2048 pixel limit was chosen specifically to match FB, so if you're optimizing images for that site, they'll work here to and won't get re-sized.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there some kind of total limit on photo space per member? If so, it may be advantageous for frequent posters like me to post smaller size photos to save space against our allotted total.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
There is, 250 MB right now. I'm going to see how it goes, we can always look at it. Having the forum re-size them to 2048 should help somewhat.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I have been re-sizing mine to 1000 x 800 before posting.
That works great. Also set the compression to a something like 70 or 80. It will save space as well as making the image lower quality. It will still look good on screen, but if somebody steals it they won't be able to do much with it.

The size of 2048 is intended as an upper limit. It's not a requirement by any means, and 1000 pixels is plenty big.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also set the compression to a something like 70 or 80. It will save space as well as making the image lower quality. It will still look good on screen, but if somebody steals it they won't be able to do much with it.
Thanks. My photo processing program adjusts for "quality", which I assume is the same as compression. I'll try it with a lower setting and see what it looks like.

There are a few people that have permission to use my photos, but they can always ask me to send them specific photos.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. My photo processing program adjusts for "quality", which I assume is the same as compression. I'll try it with a lower setting and see what it looks like.

There are a few people that have permission to use my photos, but they can always ask me to send them specific photos.
Yep, compression is the same thing. Quality just short cuts it a bit, in theory you can dial in anything from 1 (total crap) to 100 (pretty much the original image). Quality just chooses numbers for you, say 90, 70, 50 etc. Pick the lowest one you can while still having the photo look good. If it looks blurry, you went too far, go up a notch.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The automatic resizing feature may not be working. Tonight I tried posting to a thread some photos I had resized to1000 x 800. The site rejected them, saying they were too large. They were uncropped and in the 1.5-2.0 MB range after resizing.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, it can only handle files up to 1 MB. That’s due to software limitations. That should be plenty for an image that’s only 1000 pixels wide. I’d expect them to be 200 or 300 kB. Change the compression / quality when you save them. They should end up under 500 kB in most cases.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It worked. I see that I could have avoided the problem (or at least not bothered you) had I re-read your first post in this thread.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
It's good that you asked, and here's why. If you're having the problem, other members will too. I need to know what challenges people are having and see what I can do to make things as easy as possible. I'm going to see if there's a way for the software to downsize them on this end, but at the moment I don't know of any.

In any case, don't worry about "bothering me", speak up, ask questions, let me know about bugs or problems.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com