Portland/ Seaside/ Cannon Beach

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ProduceKid17

Went on a family vacation, first time photo poster on here. critique, please. shot with a Nikon D3000

trip10.jpg

trip11.jpg

trip14.jpg

trip16.jpg

trip18.jpg

trip19.jpg

trip21.jpg

trip22.jpg

trip26.jpg

trip27.jpg

Hey there, welcome to the group. Thanks for taking the plunge and putting up some photos. I'll take a stab at giving you my ideas on some of these. Take them for whatever you can get out of it. If I were at home I would have tried to show some crops of what I was trying to convey, can't do any editing on pictrures here at work.

I'm not sure what you are trying to show in the first one.

The next bunch I think you are trying to show too much in each image. They are nice overal views when you are there looking at them, but don't translate to a picture very well. Several of them have strong elements in them but get lost in all the other stuff you tried to show around them.

An example would be the waterfall. You could crop of either the left or the right side, depending on where you wanted the fall and have a stronger image. Putting what looks like the main focus dead center takes a bit away from the interest.
Another example might be the staircase. Ohh this one is creaming a veritcle composition to me and composed much tighter on the staircase, so the stair case filled the frame. The tree on the left is distracting and the bright area at the top adds nothing to the picture.
OK, one more. The beach shot with the people in it. Image what that could have looked like if you had gotten low, with more of the sand and it's interesting texture leading up to maybe one or two people in the picture.

Hopefully these put a few thoughts in your mind next time you are out shooting to look at the picture within the picture. Don't get distracted trying to show too much. and again, welcome to the group.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back