Project Staircase

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I spent an extra long Labor Day Weekend in Ketchikan, Alaska.

Ketchikan is an interesting city, built on a large island, and the city itself is on a steep and rocky hillside. The locals call it "the Rock", which makes sense once you've seen the place.

Part of the city is quite old, and it has some interesting architecture. In some places the hillside is too steep for streets heading up and down hill, and so they used staircases to connect the streets going across the hill. One of the streets is also on a trestle, making for an interesting site.

During my visit, I spent an afternoon hunting down and photographing a few of the staircases. I can see how somebody could really spend a lot of time and energy on this, but I only spent part of a day on it. Still, I had fun and in was an interesting project.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Elliot Street. Not far from the first staircase, Elliot Street is a large structure leading from Tongass up to Water Street, which is the street that runs on a timber trestle along the hillside.

View attachment 3886

Leia

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love staircase photos. In fact, I have a really nice print of a staircase going down into Laguna Beach California that I have had hanging for years. Great series. hope to see more

Bob, did you fly in? when we were there we landed, did a turn around, taxied back to touchdown end and then into Airport Terminal, then left reverse of our landing. Juneau was same way, I think Pilots have to be Certified for Alaska Airports.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like the composition of this one all that much, the subject is too centered and there's really nothing special about it.

However, I thought I'd post it anyway, just to show how long this staircase was. This is Elliot Street from the top looking down. The other photo only shows the upper half of the stairs, the portion on trestlework. There's also a whole lower section that's built directly on the ground.

It makes for a pretty long and steep walk!

View attachment 3895

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Gorge Street

I was able to find a nice angle on this one. Gorge street is fairly short, but the staircase has an interesting variety of angles as it climbs the hill.

View attachment 3896

This is one of my favorites, along with the first image I posted.

Cool shots, somehow I missed these when they were first posted. I'll have to try and check some of these spots out when I'm there at the end of July for our fishing trip. I have heard the landing at the airport can be a bit hairy coming in so low over the water.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com