Purchasing Photo Mats and Accessories Locally

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

dchairet

I'm looking to start matting some prints which I've never done before. I'd like to be able to buy mats individually as I need them and some accessories like mounting strips, double-stick photo tape, hinging tape and so on, but I'm wondering if it's possible to find this stuff in a retail store rather than just online. I live in the Portland metro area and I might recall seeing some mats at Fred Meyer and Michael's Crafts, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Micheals has a very nice selection of stock mattes and frames. I frequently buy both from them. Watch your mail and newspaper for specials from Micheals, seems like they have sales on a very frequent basis.

They also offer custom mattes and framing. They will cut mattes to whatever oddball size you need and can create custom frames as well. The results are very nice, at least at our local store.

The only negative I have to say about the custom work is that it comes with custom prices to match. Once again, they often have sales and discounts that help, especially if you can be patient. But the costs add up pretty quickly, so keep that in mind.

You almost certainly can also find a custom framing place nearby. They typically do a great job too, but you'll face the same problem of quality work being expensive.

Another store I really like is Aaron Brothers. Huge selection of quality products at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, they've closed my local store, though there's still one a couple towns away.

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
The next question is why you're matting the photos? If you're doing it to sell your work, you may want to consider buying mattes in bulk.

I use a company called RediMat and and buy the kits they offer with a matte, backing, and a clear vinyl sleeve. I use artist's tape to attach the photos. It makes for a nice presentation without being expensive. It also does a great job of protecting the photos.

If you're selling your photos in bulk, say at a craft fair or art show, it's a great option. They're not top quality mattes, but I suspect that most folks will re-matte the images anyway when they pick a frame. So instead of trying to guess what matte color and style they'll want, I use a matte that's basically disposable.

Judy N

There is an awesome store in Portland called Documounts. I have bought a ton of stuff from them. Their service is great. I order online since I live on the west side of the state. The quality is superior and the product is usually delivered before the date they say they are going to get them to me. I have also contacted them with questions and they get right back to me. I don't use anybody else anymore. Judy

Mike-PDX

Another suggestion

Along with the good suggestions you already got, I might add this.

Blick Art Materials (formerly Art Media) has several stores in the Portland area. I've been buying my own mat board in large sheets and cutting my own custom mats. They have a great selection of acid-free mat board as well as archival quality mounting tape, etc, etc. They don't cut custom mats, but they will sell you the mat cutter to do your own. At some point it pays to cut your own, especially if you want something that isn't exactly a "standard" size.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com