"Rainy" Tuesday??

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

The weather was supposed to be terrible yesterday. But we went out shooting trains anyhow. It turned out to be a pretty good day, even though there was a tie gang working around Wyeth which bottled up the traffic a bit.

C&C encoruaged!

Eastbound from Ruthon Point just west of Hood River. The fruit trees aren't ready to start blooming. I guess I can't blame them:
5512500526_2b8cd1a391_o_d.jpg

Eastbound stack train at Quinton. You generally get a lot nicer weather on the east side of the mountains.
5512461174_dd2a1e2d64_o_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two trains and a log flume. No wind surfing today. The river was incredibly smooth giving this nice reflection of the train on the North side.

Yeah, I can hear the boarders whining from here! They're probably all drowning their sorrows in a nice tall glass of Full Sail Ale. Tuesday obviously totally sucked for them.

However... Their loss is your gain. I've never seen the river that flat! That's really nice and the reflection is just great! Wonderful shot...

Time for me to move East! I'm ready for sunny weather again.

Number 3 is has nice depth to it. Good composition.

Time for me to move East! I'm ready for sunny weather again.

I wouldn't count on it. True eastern oregon got snow yesterday and rain today. The sun did come out for about 60 minutes in the last 2 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I wanted to do the same thing on the last one, when I have an idea I need to get out and do my idea and be first..LOL

Well, I wanted to do the same thing on the last one, when I have an idea I need to get out and do my idea and be first..LOL

Don't aim to be the first, aim to be the best! In any case, that shot's been done millions of times before, including a nice variation by Steve Carter who frequents here. I won't post a link though, since I don't want to encourage folks to try it.

That said, I really discourage folks from trying that last one. It's downright dangerous. With the wind in the Gorge, it's amazing just how quiet trains can be, especially when they're heading downgrade. Believe it or not, they can sneak up on you. I'd hate to see the caption read "This was the last shot he ever took..."

Yes, I know, you'll be careful, you'll hear the train, you won't get distracted by trying to compose your photo and not realize a trains coming until it's too late to get out of the way. Lots of trespassers get killed every year, and they all said that too.

Oh, and due to all the windsurfers in the area crossing the tracks, BNSF has special agents in the area that will give you a ticket for trespassing. The last time I was down there, I had one watch me for about 10 minutes as I waited for Amtrak to arrive. I stayed on the edge of the public road, next to some concrete blocks they have by the tracks, which looked to be defining the propertly line, and I didn't try to cross the tracks, so he left me alone, but he was very definitely keeping an eye on me. So even if you don't get run over, it could be an expensive shot.

OK, so you've still just gotta try it, right? I hope not, but if so, please use a spotter to watch your back and look out for trains.

Last edited:
I fully agree with Bob on the safety issue.

There is absolutely no reason to go out and get into trouble, either physically or legally. Bob, if you think this shot is too controversial, I'll be happy to take it down.

But just to demonstrate that I'm not a complete dufus, there were two of us watching. And as you can tell from the photo, you can see about three miles down the track to the east. Plus, we were standing right by a signal which we were checking regularly in both directions. In addition to that, we knew that a tie gang had the track closed a few miles behind where I was standing.

Mike, I'm OK with the shot, and I know you know your way around railroads. I'm not going to pass judgement on a particular image. There are ways to get shots like that one, and to do it with reasonable safety.

That said, since we get a wide variety of photographers, I also wanted to point out the risks inherent in the shot. Sometimes photography does involve risks, either to the photographer and/or the subject. Ever shot a night photo in a part of town where you're not exactly comfortable being after dark? I certainly have. Today there was a shot posted of a kayaker going over a waterfall. I said "Cool shot!" while a pro kayaker might have said "I hope he had a good PFD on, and had checked the depth of the pool before going over. Did you have spotters ready with a rescue rope in case he got into trouble?"

The railroad risks are simply more obvious to me, since it's something I deal with all the time. I don't want to blow it out of proportion, but I also want to make folks aware of them.

BTW - If I ever do have a problem with an image that anyone posts, I'll address in private, using a PM or e-mail. In case of controversy, the staff may move a photo to a holding area for my review. I can only recall one or two instances where anything like that has come up. I think that both cases dealt with nudity/implied nudity and what the limits are on this site to keep it family friendly.

Last edited:
Great shots all... Love the vantage point you selected for the stack train. The back cars disappearing into infinity, sun capturing the trailing profile in shadow. You can just about hear the engine. :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back