Scotts Mills Park

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

dschaecher

This was my first attempt at HDR. I think they turned out pretty good, although I think the first one is the better of the two. I used HDR Efex Pro. This park is located near Silverton and Mt. Angel, OR.

Attachments

• DSC01139_HDR_1.jpg
    DSC01139_HDR_1.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01144_HDR.jpg
    DSC01144_HDR.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 443

JDueckPhoto

I used to live near Mt Angel, but its been a long time since I've been down there. Awesome looking park though so maybe I need to go back.

I like your exposure, the smoothness of the water and the trees in the foreground. The fall colors jump out too. Both are nice shots.

I think the blues in the water are a little cold on the color temp... Maybe its how Efex pulled them up and maybe its just me. Either way the pictures make me want to check out the park.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Those are nice shots. I agree, the blues in the water are strong. However, the same strong blues make for a very nice looking sky.

So, at this point you have some options, here are a couple I'd suggest.

1) Say "It's HDR, and I like the look, the blues stay!" (Simple and easy)

2) Take the photo into your favorite editor and tone down the blues in the water. I'd probably do that by creating a duplicate layer, de-saturating it a bit, and then use a layer mask to paint in the less saturated water. Of course there are lots of ways to do it, that's just one option. In this particular image, I'd only try and do the waterfall, there's so much brush and leaves in the rest of the shot it's going to be very difficult to layer. But you could do the falls fairly easily and I suspect that would help with the blue water look.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com