Seattle Seagull

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I like this a lot. The background is blurred enough not to be distracting yet you can still tell it is the Seattle skyline. The overcast sky acted as a natural softbox so there is no harsh shadows on the gull. It may be my monitor but the red spot seems a bit saturated to me and would tone it down a bit.

As a former boat-race shooter, out-of-level water drives me nuts...

--Mark--

I noticed that too but then I think the space needle might have a lean if you leveled it. I might be wrong but visually it looks pretty straight.

Last edited:
By-the-way, it is a really good shot. (now I won't be able to get that Bad Company song out'a my head...)

I think I prefer the shot leveled out, myself. Not just to level the water but to balance the gull a bit, as well. He looks as though he is leaning forward a touch.

As far as color, DOF, composition, light, story, etc... I think you nailed it. On my monitor the color looks great. As Janice said, the DOF works very well; blurred just enough. The exposure looks just about perfect. He may be a tad blown out on the shoulder, but with all of that white it's hard to tell. I like the composition. I think you placed the bird well as to frame him with the space needle and skyline.

All around, great image.

Slightly contrary opinion, for what its worth

It looks like the majority opinion is that it's a good shot. I would tend to agree, up to a point. I like the separation of the gull from the skyline, while still leaving the background shapes recognizable. I wasn't bothered by any possible tilt to the horizon.

However, I think it would be helped compositionally if the gull weren't right smack in the center. IMHO, the left hand side - behind the gull - doesn't add much to the photo, so maybe you could try cropping some off the left and see if you think it is better or not.

Just my $.02, of course. :)

I think I'd crop that one to portrait, leaving the Needle in the shot and the bird's head at the upper right third.

Looking at the Needle, it is leaning just a bit to the right.

Pops

I agree with the comments of the gull in the middle. I tend to be guilty of that myself and I am working on it. That aside, it is a great shot!

Nice shot....sharp where it needs to be and out of focus where it needs to be. I only wish I could see the bird's feet. No sure why that bothers me but it's not anything you could have controlled anyway.

Chuck

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back