Shooting Fireworks

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Last night I had a chance to practice my fireworks technique.

As I did, I discovered something I hadn't realized before.

After about 3 seconds, shutter speed is irrelevent as it relates to the fireworks! Aperture is what's really important for exposing the bursts, and once it's dialed in, you can vary your shutter speed as you see fit. What? Am I nuts? No, there's logic behind this.

The typical pro fireworks burst only lasts about 2 to 3 seconds. Then the powder burns out and it fades to black. So 4 seconds or 10 seconds, if the burst only is visible for 3, it doesn't matter.

The fireworks is basically setting the shutter speed for its part of the exposure with its duration. You can't vary the brightness of the bursts. (They do vary, sometimes by quite a lot, but as a photographer you cannot control it, you can only adjust for it.) So, since the exposure duration is effectively set by the shells burn time, you can only control the aperture and ISO. Set those to try and keep some color in the fireworks. I found between f11 and f8 at ISO 200 worked well. Which setting is best depends on the shell's brightness and your distance.

After dialing the aperture in, I varied my shutter speed from 6 to 20 seconds. It didn't affect the color of the individual bursts. Obviously, if you get too many bursts in the same spot, you'll get an over-exposed white blob. Also, if there's enough ambient light, the shutter speed will control how visible the foreground and background is.

So you should set both shutter speed and aperture according to your local conditions, but what I hadn't thought much about is that they're don't directly correlate when it relates to the fireworks themselves. Your setting for the aperture will be based on the brightness of the fireworks, while shutter speed should be based on how many shells they're shooting and the frequency. Unlike most photos, you can change one without changing the other and get roughly the same exposure for the bursts. However, changing shutter speed will affect how the rest of the shot looks.

Obviously, the exposure for the foreground will vary depending on the shutter speed you use. Also, how many bursts you get in each shot will be determined by shutter speed. Get too many, and you'll get a white blob.

Basically here's what I'm suggesting, assuming you're using a tripod and shooting the entire burst of the shell rather than a short exposure.

1) Select your ISO, I went with a fairly low one, for best resolution. I think it was ISO 200, though I didn't verify that.

2) Dial in the exposure of the firework with aperture.

3) Using shutter speed, expose for the rest of the scene and/or choose how many burst you capture. Note that as I mentioned above, the fireworks itself is essentially setting it's own shutter speed, since it goes out after 3 seconds. You are controlling the exposure for the rest of the scene, for example city lights or in summer shows, capturing the last dark blue of the sky.

The fact the last two work somewhat independently (for the fireworks burst) surprised me. The key to remember is that a shell that only lasts for 3 seconds is effectively setting its own shutter speed of 3 seconds, no matter what you have dialed in on the camera.

Also, keep in mind that the traditional fireworks shape doesn't really exist. It's caused by dots of bright light "painting" on the film/sensor. They move during the exposure, creating the dandelion seed shape we're familiar with. So you're actually trying to set the exposure for a brightly light object that's in motion. Because of that, you made need a higher ISO or a larger aperture than you'd expect for a long exposure.

BH2_0779.JPG

BH2_0834.JPG

BH2_0799.JPG

BH2_0851.JPG

Last edited:
Getting to be that time of the year, so thought I'd bring this thread back to the top!

Anyone else have suggestions, comments or ideas for shooting fireworks?

Happy New Years! Shooting fireworks tonight? This may come in handy...

I have a great addition to this... Accidentally shot fireworks this summer when I pressed the shutter accidentally while loading my camera. Turned out perfect and crystal clear. My technique, be careless packing your camera after watching the demolition derby. During the derby, I left settings on full automatic for the high speed, low light, wobbly grandstands and dusty air. Got some great shots and just wanted to actually take in the fireworks, so I closed the camera flash, forgot to shut the camera off and as I placed the camera in the bag. The camera fired the closed flash unit, so no light showed, but all the settings were just right for the fireworks themselves with no movement or blur from my shaky self. I tried a few other shots, leaving the flash closed and got some of the best of the display and all turned out just the way I wanted them. Crisp, dark sky and vivid colors of the light show around me.

Not the most professional method, but definitely effective.

Signed, The Lazy Photographer

First Night Spokane 2014 Fireworks

I use a variation of what Bob said above. To me shooting fireworks is painting with light as the light is always moving. I use the B or Bulb setting and a cable release, ISO 100 and f11 or f16. I just need to watch for concentrations of light in the same area to avoid blown out areas. I watch for the mortar to launch then trip the shutter and see what happens. If I'm lucky there aren't many in the same area of the shot. A lot depends upon the type of displays being shot. Locally we have Coeur d'Alene Parade of Lights and First Night Spokane. At First Night there were many large volleys of sparkling sprays at the base of the clock tower which blew out all detail. I did get one or two that I'm really fond of though. The attached image was shot at 7.6(bulb - cable release) sec @ f10, ISO 100. It was pretty foggy and the smoke was hanging around. If you have any tips on darkening the sky after the fact please let me know.

Paul

Attachments

• _MG_2104.jpg
    _MG_2104.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Arline, why not post a shot or two? Also, do you know what settings it used?

Let's go back to the basics for a moment. Arline knows this, as do most of you, but it's good to consider for a moment.

When you come right down to it, there are only 3 settings for any photo.
1) ISO - Your film or sensor's sensitivity. You can adjust that with a DSLR, with film you make the choice when you select the film.
2) Aperture - How large a lens opening you use.
3) Shutter Speed - How long the shutter remains open.

No matter what camera you use, either it, or you, are making these choices. Using a scene mode like "moonlight", "mountains", "portrait"? You're simply telling the camera which factor to favor, such as increasing ISO for dark scenes, or using a small aperture for landscapes. In the end, there is no magic "mountain" setting, it's simply making it's best guess as to which settings will work.

So when arline already had her camera set for dark conditions, it made the right choices to pick up the fireworks. Not having the flash available helped too, it fooled it into underexposing the shot.

Speaking of the flash, why didn't I list that as one of the factors? Simple, it will affect the choices you make on those three items but it just changes the available light. It's really no different than determining whether the scene is in full sun or shade.

Granted, you will probably adjust based on whether the flash is used. With a modern digital camera, you'll make some settings that tell it to factor the flash into the metering. My camera actually does a quick pre-flash as i checks exposure, and then sets the exposure based on the results. However, once again, when you come right down to it, the camera is setting ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed based on it's best guess on what light will be available when the photo is taken.

Paul, nice photo! That is a good technique. I know one photographer who uses a black piece of cardboard to block the lens between bursts and exposes on bulb.

Personally, I tend to shoot individual bursts. If I so choose, I can combine them later in post. That helps avoid any hot spots and also avoids the brighter sky that you're experiencing.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of the shots I got at that show. We didn't have a tremendous backdrop like you and Paul did for yours. We were seated in dusty field just off the freeway. Even the train I was hoping to get in a shot had already passed. I don't know all the settings, but I do know the ISO was at 400 for the derby. The in camera flash was on but closed. (It has to be manually opened because it is blocked by velcro from a diffuser.

So, here is the accidental shot as the camera was being placed in the bag...
4th-of-July.jpg

These are a couple of the playing with my new technique shots!
2012-Jul-04_5333.jpg2012-Jul-04_5362.jpg2012-Jul-04_5365.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back