Silence

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's not much sound in a place like this... perhaps the occasional chirp of a small insect, or the soft whisper of a gentle breeze... perhaps the soft crunch of gravel under your feet... perhaps nothing at all... 40D with Tamron SP17-35, taken at Kodachrome Valley, Utah.

Silencesm.jpg

Beautiful. I can almost hear that chirping insect.

Do you mind sharing the speed/aperature/iso of that shot? It appears it was fast based on the stars not having the slightest of trails. Full moon to create that shadow?

Beautiful. I can almost hear that chirping insect.

Do you mind sharing the speed/aperature/iso of that shot? It appears it was fast based on the stars not having the slightest of trails. Full moon to create that shadow?

i believe this one was shot at about 8 seconds, f/7.1... there was a full moon, which helped light up the stump and cast the shadows. there's a teeny bit of star movement in the original, but it doesn't show at this size...

beautiful shot ... really can't believe the spot is called Kodachrome, what a picturesque name for a picturesque place :)

Yes, what a great photo!

I do think it's slightly ironic that you took a black and white photo at Kodachrome Valley though... ;) I can see why you did though, it worked really well.

Hey, any truth to the rumor they're considering renaming the place Memory Card Valley, JPG Canyon or maybe Pixel Point?

i believe this one was shot at about 8 seconds, f/7.1... there was a full moon, which helped light up the stump and cast the shadows. there's a teeny bit of star movement in the original, but it doesn't show at this size...

I am always surprised just how quickly star trails start appearing. I took some night photos the other day, and a 15 second exposure clearly shows the stars starting to elongate into trails when viewed full size. At normal resolution you can't really notice it though.

Another funny thing is when I click through the images in Lightroom and see how fast the stars change position. Then again, this shouldn't come as a surpise to anyone who's ever shot a sunrise or sunset and been amazed at how quickly the sun sinks below the horizon.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back