Southern Oregon Car Show 1

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christena

The lighting was REALLY tricky in the expo...I really had to work it. There were other photographers that were grumpin' about too...did my best. Here are few to start with...

CarShow11008-ps.jpg

CarShow11011-ps.jpg

CarShow11173-ps_edited-1.jpg

CarShow11176-ps.jpg

CarShow14008-ps.jpg

CarShow029008-ps.jpg

CarShow048008-ps.jpg

CarShow110008-ps.jpg

CarShow117008-ps.jpg

You have some really neat stuff in here, Christena, I really dig the swan emblem in b&w. That must have been a fun time. I love me some classics!

My favorite two are the swan and the last one. It does look like difficult lighting for sure and the use of lens flare is an interesting way to address that problem.

thanks guys...the Swan was actually a hood ornament for a an old lawn mower...my favorite is 7. I was astonished to see a turn table system in a car...CC's okay forgot to post that...

Turn Table

thanks guys...the Swan was actually a hood ornament for a an old lawn mower...my favorite is 7. I was astonished to see a turn table system in a car...CC's okay forgot to post that...

An old 45 turn table in there? I forgot all about those.

Car shows inside venues are really tough to shoot. Lousy lighting, too many people, and most often you can't use a tripod.
Nice shots from the event, although the shutter speeds are a bit slow and causes some to be a bit soft. but that works giving a vintage look to the pictures. If you ever get the opportunity to use a tripod at one of these take advantage of really small apertures so you can get starburst effects from those specular highlghts in the paint and chrome. You can do the same without a tripod if they are outside in bright sunshine so the shutter speeds stay high.

Thanks Tony...the light was weird and green....I tried some faster settings but the dark colors got weird...the slower settings were best...there were a couple of people with tripods but I could tell that wasn't working for them. Later in the year there is an outdoor Motorcycle show, so I will try some of your suggestions then :)

Here's two examples of what the small aperture does to the highlights on a bright sunny day.. instant stars, the number of rays coming out depends on the number of leaves on the lens creating the aperture.

368253100.jpg

368253235.jpg

OK, one more example from all the way back in 2002. Shooting with the old Canon D30, 17-35 lens @ 19mm, 1/180@f22 ISO 100 I loved this panel van,.

395290994.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. What a cool tip, Tony. Thanks for sharing that. I can't wait to try that out. How small of an aperture is needed for these highlight stars?

I think you can start to get the effect somewhere around f11, it will be soft, and it gets more pronounced the smaller the aperture gets. Where shooting wide open just gives you a big round highlight. If your camera has a preview button where it closes down the aperture, you can see the effect in the viewfinder before even shooting the picture.

I think Bob has some good examples of this shooting at night where the city lights become starred from the smaller aperture.

Last edited:
Ok. That makes sense now. I did some night shooting a few days ago and shot most of my images at f11. And I got that star pattern out of both the moon and city lights. ...learning something new everyday. Thanks, Tony.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back