Spring Flowers in B&W

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christena

Us So. Oregonians finally got a sun break yesterday for about 5 min. so I ran around and took some obligatory spring blossom shots. Some seemed to asked to be in B&W, so I complied...CC's please :)

SpringBlsm048bwps.jpg

SpringBlsm032bwps.jpg

SpringBlsm036bwps_edited-2.jpg

I've never considered B&W for flowers, but it really brought out their intricate shapes, especially with the shallow depth of field you used. Hmmmm--you've opened up a whole new way of looking at things for me. Thanks!

B&W was a great choice for these. My favorite is the third for the black background that isolates the flowers and gives them punch.

Nice shots, Christena! :) I love your b&w choice! I like the third one best. Like Janice said, that deep black in the background really makes the foreground pop.

My only suggestion might be to adjust the grayscale a bit. I looks great in 2, but I think 1 and 3 would both greatly benefit from blacker blacks and whiter whites. This is purely my own preference. But maybe play around with it and see what you like.

Here's my take on your first shot. You may hate this and it may not be what you are looking for, but I thought I'd give you an idea of what I was yakking about, just the same :)

The 3rd shot is great!

Of these three, I really like the third. The black background really sets off the flowers well. I agree that you could bump up the contrast even higher.

The second shot doesn't work for me in B&W somehow. I think its because it is a bit too busy, and the lack of color information causes me to be confused. Maybe that's just me, though. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback and critiques. I will play with the contrast more I like the the bumped up example. Glad I could inspire you LL Heim, I take that as a huge compliment :)

Hey, Christena.

Might I add-

I didn't actually use the contrast adjustment in Photoshop. What I did was - Image > Adjustment > Selective Color. Then I upped the black in the blacks, and the whites in the whites. There are TONS of ways to do this sort of thing, but I really like having control over my whites and blacks, separately.

Just thought I'd mention that ;)

Your shots are always inspiring, Christena. Your passion for this art always sings loud! :)

One more thing that I just noticed. In number 3, the hard shadows of the blossom's stamen REALLY stand out on the petals. It really adds a ton of interest and makes the image a little more dynamic, to my eye.

I wasn't quite sure of exactly what it was about that photo that was really speaking to me, but I just figured that out :)

Hey, Christena.

Might I add-

I didn't actually use the contrast adjustment in Photoshop. What I did was - Image > Adjustment > Selective Color. Then I upped the black in the blacks, and the whites in the whites. There are TONS of ways to do this sort of thing, but I really like having control over my whites and blacks, separately.

Your shots are always inspiring, Christena. Your passion for this art always sings loud! :)

Thank you for telling me that...when I do it the other way I notice I lose texture and that's why things aren't as bright as I would like them. I will play with things this way and see what happens.

One more thing that I just noticed. In number 3, the hard shadows of the blossom's stamen REALLY stand out on the petals. It really adds a ton of interest and makes the image a little more dynamic, to my eye.

I wasn't quite sure of exactly what it was about that photo that was really speaking to me, but I just figured that out :)

Thanks, I try for that....I see the sun just right on that side of the house and race out and start shooting.

I agree with Hoedadkid. The first one looks better a bit darker... but I am the opposite of Mike-PDX :) I like that one the most because the texture of the wall makes the flowers really standout. The third one I like also because it is isolated.

But yes it is unique to put flowers in b&W, But I have seen it before, it does take some thinking outside the box. a break from the norm, creative thinking.

I just learned something today - - - Ouch brain cramp.

Showcase. I'm right there with you bout the wall in 2. I think the juxtaposition is interesting.

Janice- lol. Try working out the cramp with som sudoku... ;)
to be even more specific- when choosing the whites, I dropped the black. This tool also works really well for temperature changes to individual color spectrums.

Hey, Christena.

Might I add-

Thanks!!! I just noticed the last sentence on this....um, I click on image in my Photoshop and there is not adjustments, I have Photoshop Elements 7...

Shoot. I don't know "Elements" at all. I use Cs3... Look for a selective color tool in your search bar, maybe.

Shoot. I don't know "Elements" at all. I use Cs3... Look for a selective color tool in your search bar, maybe.

I found a similar tool where you choose a type of BW conversion like...portrait, newsprint, landscape etc....you choose the one that most fits your type of photo and then can do several adjustments with in grayscale. I'm playing with it now!!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back