Spring Storm

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

steveeshom

5543731607_3202dfc873_o.jpg

I had a chance to travel into the Columbia River Gorge yesterday. The weather was a mix of showers and sun breaks which I was able to capture near Beacon Rock.

Last edited:
Beautiful lighting and colors in a beautiful scene. Well done, Steve.

Steve, did you apply an Orton technique to this or is it directly out of camera? It has a very surreal look. Nicely done as usual.

Gorgeous, Steve. The warm glow of the grass against the cold blue of the hills is super dramatic. I love the horizontal crop, as well.

Killer :)

It's always great to catch those specially lit areas in the Gorge. You hit this one just right.

The trees just seem to pop!! Is this before or after the storm?

There were a bunch of showers moving south to north. Behind me to the west was a pretty good break in the clouds which let the sun stream through. There was a rain shower just crossing the Cascades and starting to dump on the hills in the background.

Steve, did you apply an Orton technique to this or is it directly out of camera? It has a very surreal look. Nicely done as usual.

This was developed in Lightroom. Looking at the original it lacked punch so through various experiments I ended up doing a few things:

Temp +100
Exposure +1.11 (this is what causes the trees and grass in the foreground to pop)
Blacks +31 (this is what keeps the darks dark)
Contrast +8
Saturation +6 (don't usually do this but it did look better)
Tone Curve Custom S (brightens the brights, and darken the darks)
Local adjustments on the clouds to add clarity and sharpness. Also on the grass at the river level because it was way too hot with the exposure increase.
Add some sharpening and that was it!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back