Steller's Jay

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Took this photo in the middle of last week, in the evening light
7911517_orig.jpg

Chad

I think you're onto something Rocky. I was looking at some photos of juvenile Steller's Jays, they have the lighter head and back colors. They also have a lighter silver shine on the beak. Whatcha think, Joe?

Chad

Last edited:
Coloration of Steller's Jay

What a pose! Beautiful capture Chad.

The Steller's Jay juvenile has a soft gray to their belly, and a little darker gray to their head and neck. Chad and Rocky, I believe the feathers are catching and reflecting the warmth and glow of the evening sun resulting in the unique color! I had the same effect happen a last week, all the other photos taken that evening showed the typical coloration. The second photo shows the more typical gray feathers of the young, this one is just developing a hint of blue.

Attachments

• 2014-08-16_18-12-33__MG_9849_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    2014-08-16_18-12-33__MG_9849_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 2014-08-18_16-05-39__MG_1605_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    2014-08-18_16-05-39__MG_1605_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 180
A pair of Steller's jays has been hanging out in my back yard this year. On January 30th one of them demonstrated the proper technique of flying off with two peanuts at once, a trick their cousins the crows have not mastered.

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back