steveeshom - Favorites of 2010

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

steveeshom

Like most photographers I like to reflect back on the year that was. It is an interesting journey through the year as I get to relive the big and small events that formed my photographic year. I always try to be critical and pick the best images but sometimes the emotions get in the way and thus I ended up with about 70 images in my year end collection this year! If you want to view the entire collection please head over to my Flickr 2010 set for a slideshow.

From that collection here are my top 6....

4451637449_c1a1f39e2b_o.jpg

On a spring trip to Southern California for railfan photography the group I was with happened into a thunderstorm near Barstow. The storm was impressive looking so I knew I needed to capture it. In the foreground is an eastbound train which recently departed the base of the storm over in Barstow. I love this photo because it captures the immenseness of the desert thanks to the train seemingly stretching all the way back into the storm.

4475498632_cbfe1ed8ce_o.jpg

The twin barns at the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge are a great subject like many barns are. On the morning of the PNW Photography Forum meet up they stood out nicely thanks to late March low light. This was a particularly fun trip for me since I was able to get my animal loving teenage daughter some exposure to outdoor photography.

4754209284_a5f700a173_o.jpg

In June Tammy and I headed to the Olympic peninsula to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. As can happen up there the weather can be quite variable. Over our long weekend we experienced heavy rain, bright sun, and everything in between. After enjoying a fabulous dinner at Wildfire Grill in Port Angeles we headed down to Ediz Hook to see the sights. As we watched the sun start to drop over the horizon I noticed the clouds acted as a great filter. This allowed me to capture a silhouette of the hills of South Vancouver Island under the sun illuminated clouds.

5310053841_0fac131ccb_o.jpg

At a family vacation on the Oregon Coast I captured my niece in early morning light as she enjoyed the views of the Pacific.

5310062183_e9a4b5e4ab_o.jpg

Big Sky Country is a photographers dream. Literally it is a target rich environment that just needs the right light. Natural and man man made beauty abounds. At sunset one night I stood next to a wheat field in Benchland Montana photographing the wheat, the mountains, the grain elevator, the sunset, the moon rise, the fence and anything else I could put my lens on. I ended up with a dozen or so images from that evening that I really loved. I settled on this one as a favorite from the evening as it deviates from my normal 'into the sun' sunset photo.

6. 5144664978_b139bb6a19_o.jpg

Not everyday is a sunny day and I certainly don't let a little rain stop me from taking photos. In fact I believe some of the more dramatic images in this year's collection were rainy day photos. In October I spent a rainy Sunday with some friends photographing trains between Centralia and Vancouver. Of course we know the rain here fuels rampant tree and vegetation growth. The result is the Northwest is lush with vegetation and most of the rail lines west of the Cascades are overgrown. Thanks to environmental and cost concerns the railroads do little to fight the growth thus scenes like this at Rocky Point, Wa. are prevalent.

Have a happy 2011 everyone!

Last edited:
Steve, these are all beautiful shots and I would like to thank you for sharing them with us. The light in the Montana shot is my favorite of the group with the Nisqually shot being next. Glad you and Rachel were able to come out with us that day. Happy New Year! See you soon.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back