Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday (7-30-18) sunset sequence from Haines Wharf Park.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday evening (8-1-18, a palindromic date) I returned to Haines Wharf Park for more sunset shots. The air had cleared, resulting in the sun being less filtered than the last time I was there.

I switched around equipment, using the 7DII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x III teleconverter for more reach. For less noise at high ISO settings, I used the 5DIII + 24-105 L wide angle zoom with a circular polarizing filter that I had forgotten to take off from the day before.

I took these shots with the wide angle setup, using a tripod (for a change) to keep the horizon level and to steady the camera for HDR shots.
The Seattle-Chicago Empire Builder was running very late and to my good fortune, passed by at sunset. I hope the passengers felt the same.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched to the super telephoto setup for this sunset shot....

05.jpg

and for these "artsy" shots.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday evening (8-8-18) from the plaza above the Edmonds library. Hot, smoggy days make spectacular sunsets.

1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, handheld

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
5DIII + 24-105L wide-angle zoom, tripod mounted. All but the last one were taken in HDR mode using natural setting.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

This one was not taken using HDR. Taken at 1/6', f/4.0, ISO = 1600, using a cable shutter release.

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The sun changed color several times as it passed through the layers of clouds and smog before setting behind the Olympic Peninsula.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the smokescreen sunsets keep coming. Thursday evening (8-16-18) my son and I, armed with a battery of cameras and lenses, went down to Olympic Beach to experiment taking sunset shots.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The sky cleared a bit on Friday (8-17-18), but the smoke screen sunsets of August continue. From Haines Wharf Park.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was no real sunset Sunday night (8-19-18) as the sun just disappeared behind the smokescreen. Taken from the plaza above the Edmonds Public Library.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Air quality health warnings are in effect for the first half of this week.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our record-breaking bad air quality continued Monday (8-20-18). Heeding the advisories, I stayed indoors all day and took some shots from my rear deck later in the afternoon as the sun was dropping in the west.

I experimented with different settings (including HDR) to try to duplicate with the camera what my eye was seeing. This is the sun as the camera saw it.

01.jpg

But this is closer to what I saw.

02.jpg

Valerie Matthews

Rain was predicted for Thursday (2/7/13), but it turned out to be a sunny day instead. My son and I went to the north end of Marina Park to take our first sunset shots in ages.

I found a large piece of driftwood to add something to the foreground.
View attachment 9516

Then I recruited Daren to stand on the beach to add something more to the foreground.
View attachment 9517

Going...
View attachment 9518

Going...
View attachment 9519

Gone.
View attachment 9520
Amazing shots!

Valerie Matthews

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The sun is now setting at its earliest (4:16pm PST) and farthest south. It will continue to do so through the winter solstice on Friday, 12-22-18.

My son and I spent a chilly Wednesday afternoon (12-05-18) on the fishing pier to take sunset shots for calendars I give to family and friends as Christmas presents. I mounted the 5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zoom on a tripod and photographed in HDR mode.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

My son took some photos of the ferry and Mt. Baker using the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, handheld.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com