SUPERMOON tomorrow

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Joemeche

At 8:16 PM, PDT tomorrow, the perigee will be at 221, 904 miles, closest of the year, with 99.5% illumination. Will anyone else be out shooting the moon?

Here's last year's version.

Moon0724Two.jpg

Digiscoped on July 24, 2013

Should be a good one! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At 8:16 PM, PDT tomorrow, the perigee will be at 221, 904 miles, closest of the year, with 99.5% illumination. Will anyone else be out shooting the moon?

That's just before sunset and dusk. I'm gonna try and be out there for this. Also, this is around the time the 2014 perseid meteor shower is peaking. Peak time this year is Aug 10th - 13th. http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

I also am seeing where they are forecasting some thunderstorms for around the Portland area after 100 degree days on Monday and Tuesday. May be a pretty good week for outdoor photographers!

Chad

Last edited:
Here's a sampler from last night's big show. *Digiscoped.
I knew that I could change the angle of view by going north so I shot this from the Semiahmoo Spit. Didn't expect the moon to hide behind Mt. Baker before it popped up, but it did....and that worked for me!

Supermoon0810.jpg

Great shot, Joe. Moonrise over the Edmonds marsh was less dramatic.
01.JPG

Full color.
02.JPG

Monochrome + blue tone, my favorite method of taking moon shots.
03.JPG

Great shot, Joe. Moonrise over the Edmonds marsh was less dramatic.

I have to admit I've gotten kind of burned out on the whole "super moon" thing. Yes, it IS larger, by a fairly decent amount.

However, it's not as huge as you'd think it is with all the hype. Also, many more factors will have a far more significant effect on how it looks.

1) Photograph it at or near the horizon. It will look huge, supermoon or not. This is a very persistent, if somewhat inexplicable, phenomenon. I've seen it in person, it's quite compelling even to the naked eye.

2) The size of your lens (obviously) has a far greater effect than any change in the moon's size. Shooting with a 400 mm lens? Well, of course your photo will look bigger than if you use a 200 mm.

3) If there is nothing in the frame but the moon, there is no frame of reference, and the moon's apparently large size will not show up in your photo.

I was 35 miles away from Mt. Baker, FWIW in this conversation, shooting at approx. 40X.

Like a line from a John Prine oldie...."shoot the moon right between the eyes." :cool:

So here's my two cents worth.....unfortunately I wasn't in a position to get the moon coming up over the Cascades. Best I could do was getting tall firs in the foreground, but even at f22, there's no way
they could be in focus. And you are certainly right, Bob - the 500mm f4L + 1.4x (700) resulted in almost a full frame moon. I cropped these shots just for composition purposes. BTW, I bumped the contrast way up; ISO 200; Exp. comp +3. Could have been any full moon...

Fun to shoot, anyway.

8-10-2014 supermoon_9327c2.JPG

Same shot full frame
8-10-2014 supermoon_9327.JPG

8-10-2014 supermoon_9324c2.JPG

Same shot full frame
8-10-2014 supermoon_9324.JPG

Nice work out there last night! Tonight's moon rise might be just as impressive, I have to look at the moonrise time for tonight. What made last night's moon really spectacular was the timing of it all, closest proximity, sunset/ dusk, and moonrise times pretty much all hit at around the same time. I still have to upload my images from my camera. With the smoke from the wildfires, the moon appeared to have a brilliant orange hue here in northern Oregon during the early part of moonrise.

Chad

Saturday night moon 8-9-2014

Attachments

• LR13-wm-7711fx.jpg
    LR13-wm-7711fx.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 297
  • -LR13-wm-7722.jpg
    -LR13-wm-7722.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 299
For a wider view, this was taken from Semiahmoo Spit, Sunday evening.
It's fun mooning everybody....:cool:

*Lots of pollution crossing the line from Greater Vancouver.

Supermoon0810Three.jpg

No moon shots tonight as a thunderstorm is passing through the Puget Sound region. Today seemed more like the Midwest: warm and humid all day followed by a thunderstorm at night. As dry as it has been for the past two months, I hope the lightning does not start any more wildfires.

Tonight is like the Midwest in another way: it is staying humid and not cooling off. :mad:

Last edited:
yeah, yeah, okay, i'll jump in here too... here's one from last night up at Tipsoo Lake... 7D @ 400mm, 1/500 @ f/13, ISO 400...

IMG_1580sm_zps5a77f0b1.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back