The Lens Hood — Don’t Be Like This Guy

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PhotoFocus has just posted the following update to their blog:

It’s rare that I step up on my soap box about gear… after all to each their own. *But this one is just a pet peeve as it causes so many potential problems.
The lens hood doesn’t point this way when the lens is out of your camera bag!

• Hoods are reversed when packing the lens into a lens pouch or for shipping. *This makes it more compact.
  • Turn the lens hood around to provide physical protection to the front of your lens. This can minimize damage from drops, bumps, or running into things.
  • Mounting the lens hood forward also cuts down on unwanted lens flares that can strip a shot of detail and wash out the frame.
Public service announcement over. *Get the most from your gear.
______
This Post Sponsored by:
Photoshop World, the ultimate Photoshop, Photography & Lighting Conference. Atlanta GA, April 8-10. *Use the promo code*PSWFOCUS414*to discount $50 OFF a full conference pass.*Learn more in three days than you have in three years!*
Viewbug**Stick With Viewbug & Photofocus throughout 2014 – because we’re announcing the biggest contest in Photofocus history — coming soon!
The HDR Learning Center*Check out new ways to use High Dynamic Range photography to make compelling images. Free tutorials and posts to get results. Produced in partnership with*HDRsoft.
Mosaic*A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to manage and share their photos. You can easily view images with their*iOS app*or web service. Plus your photos are backed up to the cloud with several plans to match your needs. Be sure to also check out the*Lightroom Learning Center*to learn new ways to work in Lightroom.
lynda.com*Learn photography anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace—from bite-sized tutorials to comprehensive courses. Try lynda.com free for 10 days by visiting*lynda.com/ Photofocus.
The Topaz Labs Image Enhancement bundle.*Open up a world of creative possibilities with a seamless, integrated workflow. You don’t need to be a Photoshop wizard to look like one. Click*here*and use the code photofocus to get a 15% discount.

Filed under: Gear, Opinion, Photography, Shooting

More...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a used Canon 2.8/400L telephoto lens (the one in my avatar) which did not come with a lens hood. MSRP for a new one was $500. I went to a pet store and bought a folding cloth version of the plastic dog collar that a vet puts on your dog to keep it from biting itself. The collar works fine as a lens hood and only cost $30. :eek:

Last edited:
I use my lens hood like that if I'm in a hurry to get a shot (chasing trains for example). Otherwise its always the right way round. The 300 f/4 is nice because it's built in, so no time is wasted putting it into place.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com