Tolme Peak (Rainier area) hike

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

climbbike

The wife and I went hiking yesterday up by Mowich Lake.

Eunice Lake and Rainier
p1076015346-5.png

From the Tomlie Peak Lookout Tower; if you look closely you can also see Mowich Lake out in the distance:
p1076015740-5.png

Was hoping for more flower but on the north side of the mountain, they are just starting . . .
p1076016248-5.png

Rainier, hiding in the distance
p1076016694-5.png

Can you tell us a bit more about this hike? I've been meaning to do this one some day.

Nice views of your hike. Yep, the flowers are a bit later there since you are up around 7,000 feet at Tolmie Peak.

The trail to Eunice Lake and Tolmie Peak is one of my favorite Rainier Hikes. I try to time it so I'm there for sunsets and hike out with a head lamp on (love the burn time on LED lights these days, but still take a spare light or batteries). You can get to a spot along side Eunice Lake where the mountain lines up and you get it reflected in the lake with a little effort.

Bob, you drive up to Lake Mowich. Just as you get to the last corner where Mowich is is a trailhead that will take you up to the peak. It does have some moderate elevation gain to Eunice Lake, but not too bad. Then from the lake it's a pretty good climb to the lookout on Tolmie, but if you take your time it's not bad either. Total trip time at an easy pace puts you at about 5+ hours, a nice day hike.

Ohh, and there are a couple of spots where there are some shale slides along the trail that if you can sit quietly the Pikka in the area will start to whistle at you and pose for pictures.

Last edited:
Tony pretty much covered the trail details but I would just add . . . take bug spray . . . LOTS of it! :)

Yep, I'm always amazed at the number and ferocity of bugs up there. Even in spring, when there's still snow on the ground. I show up and the call goes out far and wide "LUNCH TIME! Come and get it!" and skeeters the size of small birds (or so it seems) immediately appear and set up drill rigs on various parts of my anatomy.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back