Total Eclipse of the Moon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I was just coming over here to post this:

[YOUTUBE]78_ucDmm_Ak[/YOUTUBE]

It's also going to be low to the Horizon, making it look large. It's the last total lunar eclipse until 2014.

I think the moon appearing to be larger is so much atmosphere between the moon and the eye, light gets bent, sort of like putting a spoon in a glass of water..but thats a "watered down" theory..:)

No, it's purely psychological. You can easily test that by using any lens you have. Set it to the maximum zoom, and take a photo of the moon low on the horizon. Then take another shot with it high in the sky. They'll be the same size.

The effect is incredibly strong though. So much so, that when you take a photo, you sometimes look at the resulting image and go "Wait! What happened? Why is it so small?!?"

So, how do they get shots with a huge moon?

Two ways that I know of:
1) Simply fake it in photoshop. If you're doing an illustration, say for a halloween poster, this may be fine.

2) Want the real thing? Use the biggest lens you can get/rent and shoot from a long way away from your foreground subject. For example, shoot Seattle from across the Sound. Steve Carter did that with one of his shots, worked well.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back