Try A Photo Study To Focus On Finer Details

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

brian_matiash_antelope_01-824x550.jpg

I moved to southern Utah a few months ago and one of the things that I’m most excited about is being able to explore the myriad slot canyons in this area—once the daily temps aren’t high enough to where you can literally fry an egg on the pavement. Of all the slot canyons here, perhaps the most famous are the Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons. These slot canyons are completely mesmerizing and offer limitless opportunities for landscape photographers to refine their eyes. In most cases, you may be inclined to stick with a wide-angle lens in order to capture the “floor-to-ceiling” beauty of these locations. And who could blame you?

brian_matiash_antelope_02-824x1236.jpg

But the truth is that there is as much amazement to be found using longer focal lengths. In fact, I was compelled to leave all of my wide lenses in my bag after experiencing the pure delight of finding compositions using my longer lenses. At the time, I used my 70-200mm lens and was swiveling all around, finding new photos in nearly every direction. The truth is that it’d be easy to create a focused study solely using a telephoto lens in these areas.

brian_matiash_antelope_03-824x550.jpg

If I had to pinpoint why I find such a concept so appealing, it’s because of what it forces you to see, especially outside of the obvious wide shots. While I was composing my photos for this series, I paid extra attention to the concept of “elegance” and “flow” with respect to the surrounding walls. The more time I spent appreciating these oft-overlooked qualities, the more in love I became with the idea of this study. Suddenly, an entirely new world opened up and I was seeing these slot canyons in a whole new way.

brian_matiash_antelope_04-824x550.jpg

Truly, I was like a kid in a candy store. There were so many layers to juxtapose and elements to consider. In this direction, you had sharp angles versus wavy undulations. In that direction, you had striations of one color pitted against an entirely different kind.

brian_matiash_antelope_05-824x550.jpg

The idea of a focused study built atop the foundation of longer focal lengths allowed me to explore and appreciate Antelope Canyon in a way that I never had before.

brian_matiash_antelope_06-824x550.jpg

brian_matiash_antelope_07-824x550.jpg

See more of Brian Matiash’s work at matiash.com.

The post Try A Photo Study To Focus On Finer Details appeared first on Outdoor Photographer.

Continue reading...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back