Tufted Puffins in Washington State?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Today's "featured photo" blog post showcased a tufted puffin.

http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/photo-of-the-day-by-bill-boswell.18556/

That photo was taken in Iceland, but there are also tufted puffins here in Washington state. Unfortunately, the numbers have declined dramatically, and in 2015 the Audobon Society reported they're on the endangered species list.

The Tufted Puffin, once one of the most common seabirds in Washington State, reached a bittersweet landmark last week when the state approved its listing as an endangered species. This gorgeous bird, recognized by its distinctive orange bill, white facemask, and golden head plumes, has been a candidate for state listing for 16 years. It was identified by Audubon Washington as an early warning species of concern in 2004, and one at high risk of negative impacts from changes in ocean and atmospheric circulation related to climate change in 2009. In 2015 eleven chapters joined Audubon Washington in highlighting the dramatic decline of this bird through written and oral testimony.

https://www.audubon.org/news/troubled-times-tufted-puffins

I have never seen one personally, (the ones in Point Defiance Zoo don't count) but I know others who have. Have you photographed any? If so, where, and were they hard to find? The photographer I know saw them on a boat trip that was a whale watching excursion. They were on an island someplace, I think in the San Jauns but I'm not positive of that.

Bob, there is a small nesting population on Protection Island, and you can see them in the sound occasionally. There's a boat tour from Port Townsend that goes out to the island, and although you can't go ashore (it's a federally protected nesting reserve), the puffins can often be seen swimming or flying around the island.

I saw that, and so far that seems to be the only one I've managed to find. It's a shame that they're so scarce these days.

Not in WA, but there is also a small population that nests every year at Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, OR. Your best bet is probably the boat tour of Protection Island, though - better chances of getting closer shots.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back