Use of Railroad Tracks as a Photo setting - Please Don't!!

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

On Saturday 1/18/14, Jeff Ray, a Guitarist with the Jersey Boys, was hit and killed by an Amtrak Cascades train in Auburn WA. Jeff was standing in the tracks for a photo (taken by his girl friend) of him with Mt. Rainier in the background. While not quite the same as professional (and amateur) portrait photographers, using railroad tracks as a setting for their portrait work, it does, once again, show the lack of awareness the general public has for the dangers of trains. If I recall correctly 20 people were killed in Washington State last year by getting in the way of trains.

Here in the Northwest we have an added danger with the Cascade trains. About half the time, these trains run with the locomotive at the trailing end of the train. There are no "engine sounds" on the leading end of the train. It's scary how fast these trains can sneak up on you at nearly 80 mph, when the engine is at the back of the train. Add in the location where Jeff was killed (nearby freeway, busy road along the tracks), and he would have had only a couple of seconds to re-act. Too many people die because they don't respect the trains. Stay off the tracks and they won't hit you. As Railroad workers say, expect a train at any time in any direction.

I challenge everyone here to not remain silent when you run across a photographer who is showing off photos of people (or animals) standing on or close to railroad tracks. Say something if you see such foolishness in action (like in the attached photo – Yes I did say something). Your words may help save someone’s life. If you are one of these people and you really need a railroad setting, look up one of the many railroad museums. They are often quite helpful in providing a safe railroad setting for photography.

If none of this gets through, consider Jeff's girlfriend. Imagine looking through the view finder of your camera, while a train hits the person you are photographing and launches them 30 to 50 feet past where you are standing. Imagine the engineer in the train having to watch the person disappear, after you've blown the horn over and over again, while putting the train into emergency braking . How about the passengers on the train, seeing the woman screaming hysterically and then seeing the body on the ground. Or the crewmembers and first responders that have to deal with the aftermath. And finally there are all of the family and friends who have lost someone special to them, for no damn good reason.

Here's a link to Jeff's story:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/jersey-boys-guitarist-id-d-victim-washington-train-accident

The photos show, 1) the trio I shooed off the tracks in Tacoma. 2) Jeff's girl friend, some 30 minutes after the incident still sitting on the ground trying to explain what happened, 3) The train involved. The thing that looks like an engine on the front end, is actually just a control car, nothing to make noise except a horn, which at 79 mph, doesn't provide much warning to get out of the way.

IMG_1915-1.jpg
IMG_8535-1.jpg
IMG_8538-1.jpg

P.s. If you find this post offensive, I do appologize, but I'm tired of hearing about and seeing this stuff. My goal is to help minimize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shouted warnings many times to people walking the tracks below Sunset Ave. in Edmonds around train time.

Some of you have seen me go on rants about this very thing here and elsewhere. This is why.

I know exactly where they were, and have shot there myself fairly often. Yes, you can get a nice shot with Rainier in the background. But as this demonstrates, if you're on the tracks, it can be deadly. The Talgo trains are scary quiet. I photographed one recently, experimenting with a new technique, about 1/4 mile from where this happened. I did not hear it coming, I saw the headlight. By the time I could hear it, had I been on the tracks, I would have had only a second or two to react. It's that quiet. Even standing there (off to the side) waiting and listening for it, it was hard to hear it. Now imagine you're concentrating on getting the shot... By the time you notice, it's too late.

For the sake of everyone involved, please stay off the tracks. If you absolutely, positively have to have a shot involving train tracks, and can't do it in post, or shoot from the side etc, contact Me, Steve, or somebody else in the industry. We'll put you in touch with one of the small railroads that you can work with and do this safely. But don't risk your life doing it on the mainline.

Good stuff Bob!

I'll add, that if you don't know which track the mainline is, or even what a mainline is (there are often more than one), don't stand on any tracks.

Good stuff Bob!

I'll add, that if you don't know which track the mainline is, or even what a mainline is (there are often more than one), don't stand on any tracks.

Just make it simple. Don't stand on any tracks. Period.

You don't go take photos in the middle of the freeway, why do it on a railroad track? Trust me, even the biggest Kenworth pales in comparision to a small locomotive, without a train. They can stop faster and they can steer too! So if you wish to risk your life with heavy machinery, trucks are a better bet.

Also, keep this in mind. Railroad property is private property. Railroad property is usually at least 100 feet wide, so you don't have to be on the tracks to be on their property. That said, if you're on RR property, but at a safe distance well away from the tracks, they're more likely to simply ask you to leave than they would be if you're close to the tracks. They can arrest you, fine you and even take you to jail. Railroad "special agents" (security) have the same authority as the police do. They're also rather touchy about trespassers due to incidents like this one.

Besides, the whole "model posing on train tracks" has been so overshot it's a cliche' anyway. Go do something different, and that is less likely to result in your model getting mangled or killed during production...

Last edited:
Union Pacific Press Release:

[h=1]Union Pacific Policy for Photography and Video Recording[/h]Safety is of paramount importance to Union Pacific Railroad. Taking pictures or video while on Union Pacific property is dangerous, so when taking pictures or video of Union Pacific Railroad trains or structures:

• Stay off Union Pacific Railroad property. This includes tracks, bridges, buildings and signal towers.
  • At passenger stations, Amtrak and Union Pacific's commuter partner guidelines must be followed.
  • Obey all safety rules, regulations and instructions provided by law enforcement and Union Pacific employees.
Violators are subject to a citation for trespassing on railroad property.
Union Pacific will seek removal from publication any photograph or video that violates this policy.

Operation Lifesaver (an association dedicate to educating the public about the dangers of trespassing on railroad property) issued the following statement:

Operation Lifesaver urges professional photographers to stay safe, stay away from train tracks

By Operation Lifesaver 4-16-2013

WASHINGTON, DC, April 16, 2013 – As warmer weather arrives, Operation Lifesaver (www.oli.org), the rail safety education nonprofit organization, is urging professional photographers to refrain from taking photos of high school seniors, wedding parties, and other subjects on train tracks or trestles.

Last year, more than 800 people were injured or killed while trespassing on railroad property in the U.S., according to preliminary Federal Railroad Administration statistics.

"We know that photographers seek creative portrait settings; however, using train tracks as a backdrop for photos is not only dangerous, it is illegal trespassing,” said Operation Lifesaver, Inc. President and CEO Joyce Rose. “This spring, as part of our mission to reduce deaths and injuries around trains, we are asking professional and amateur photographers to set the right example by staying away from train tracks.” Rose noted that about every three hours in the U.S., a person or vehicle is hit by a train.

A teacher who taught art and photography was struck and killed by a train while taking photos on the tracks late in 2012. In response to tragic and preventable incidents like this, Operation Lifesaver has worked with Professional Photographers of America on rail safety education outreach to the professional photographer community.

“Trackside settings have become popular for senior, wedding, and family portraits. But photographers need to know the laws and the safety ramifications of staging a photo shoot near train tracks,” said David Trust, chief executive officer of Professional Photographers of America (PPA). “PPA applauds Operation Lifesaver programs that educate photographers about the danger to themselves and their clients of working near tracks.”

Operation Lifesaver has six “must-know" tips for professional photographers considering a photo shoot near the tracks:
1. Trains can’t stop quickly to avoid people or vehicles on the tracks.
2. An optical illusion makes it hard to determine a train's distance from you - and its speed.
3. The average train overhangs the track by at least three feet.
4. Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and rights-of-way are private property.
5. No tracks should be assumed to be abandoned or inactive.
6. People in your community mimic your behavior.

About Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver's mission is to end collisions, deaths and injuries at highway-rail grade crossings and along railroad rights of way. A national network of trained volunteers provides free presentations on rail safety. For more information or to request a free safety presentation, visit www.oli.org ; follow OLI on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Not that I know of. The tracks in Bellevue are the only significant stretch I can think of local to Seattle. They tore up the section through Kirkland. The Stampede Pass Line was abandoned for a long while, but it's in use. Due to the scrap value, most abandoned lines get torn up, though you can find chunks in various places.

Good info and something that needs attention for the active train lines. But I gotta throw this in here, there are at least 3 tracks just in my town that are unused. By unused I mean they just disappear into brush and one of them is a remnant about 100yds long, with no way to get on or off.

I've done at least one set of photos near another track but it was one that runs right through the middle of a local park. There are paved walkways for people in the park (State Park BTW) that go up to 1' away from the steel on the track itself...Just a heads up. :D

Last edited:
*This was a long shot and I cropped it for effect.

I was checking a Southside lagoon for birds this afternoon when I noticed this young woman with an accordion and her photog friend walking the main BNSF tracks for a shoot!! The spot they chose is quite narrow and has hardly any 'shoulder' for giving the train leeway, right at the beginning of a trestle over the creek. With the increased train traffic lately, they were asking for it. Dumb and dumber!

LadyofTrain2.jpg

very sad that people dont heed warning signs and no traspassing... we have a rail here that is not used also... I do see some cars that are stored on it, so i dont know when they use it.....

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back