Visiting area, looking for locations.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Dale99

I am from another part of the country and will be visiting Oregon/Washington next week. I was wondering what along I-5 would be neat places to see/visit. I will likely be going into the space needle, but other then that, I have no clue. I like waterfalls if there are any easy to get to along the route? So open to suggestions.

Dale99

Yes, Multnomah is on my list. Speaking of that one, I cant see on google earth if that needs to be a morning or evening shoot?

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, Multnomah is on my list. Speaking of that one, I cant see on google earth if that needs to be a morning or evening shoot?

i'd recommend evening to avoid harsh highlights, at least on a sunny day. if it's overcast - a not uncommon occurrence in this part of the country, even in summer - then it's less important what time you go. be sure to take a wide angle lens... if you're shooting a crop body, you'll need something in the 17mm range to get it all in. with a FF camera, you can get it all with a 24...

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Multnomah Falls shouldn't be missed, its east of Portland Oregon about a half hour drive, heck of a hike to the top.

You might even consider making the "Mount Hood Loop'' if you have time. But plan on making a day of it. That would be from I-84 exit to the Historic Highway. There you will have your fill of waterfalls and views. From there jump back to the freeway and head east towards Hood River and see the beautiful orchards, take highway 35 to Mount Hood, detour to Panorama Point then back to 35. 35 to highway 26 visit Historic Timberline Lodge then from the lodge go down the mountain and drive 26 to I-5 or I-84 depending on where you plan on spending the night.

Check out this one day tour I took last year on July 14th to give you a feel of what there is to see. I started at sunrise. http://www.flickr.com/photos/janicel/sets/72157630628445356/

A couple of the shots do require a brief hike so you might want to skip those because of time.

Dale99

Janice, did I draw over the route your talking about on this screenshot? route.jpg

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, Dale you did. You did miss the road up to Timberline which is clearly marked when you get there. I should probably mention, if you are staying in a hotel your options are pretty limited on between Mt. Hood and Sandy. Since that is a one day loop consider going to Gresham and back to I-84. There are hotels on I-205 as well. Another option would be to stay in the Hood River Area for hotels and B&B's.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
If possible, I would do Janice's suggested loop as a two day trip, with a stopover in Hood River, or possibly the Dalles which is a bit further up river (east) but may offer more reasonably priced lodging.

There's simply so much to see, it's going to be hard to do it in one day. Janice has the advantage of being a local, she knows the routes, knows her favorite locations, etc, etc. If you're new and exploring, my best guess is that it would be dark by the time you got to the south side of Mt Hood.

Speaking of waterfalls, here's an excellent resource!
http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good suggestion Bob. It can be done in one but two would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dale99

I think I'm only going to have a day to do Washington, and a day in Oregon, then onto the time with the people I am going to visit with.

What time is sunsets in your area? Its about 8:30 for where I am here :D

Tony S

If you are going to be up in the Seattle area and have time the Cascade Loop is a wonderful trip. http://www.cascadeloop.com/

If nothing else, the loop through and around Mt Rainier National Park is also full of photo ops. Parts of this can also be incorporated into the Cascade Loop trip by heading over towards Yakima from Chelan.

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually if you make the loop to Rainier, I'd skip Mount Hood and only do the Gorge to Hood River and return. Mount Hood pales to Rainier and you will have more time to linger.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com