Washington State Ferry HDR

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Looks to me like the white balance needs an adjustment. Was this an iPhone HDR? Its pretty amazing how far "phones" have come.

I have gotten some amazing results with Pro Hdr's app on my iphone. I didn't know Droid had it too. Will have to tell the hubby.

Hope you don't mind . . . I took the liberty to play with it a bit . . .

View attachment 7119

I like this better, I am not a fan of editing, but then, thats why I wont ever get very far in this site.

I mean this looks like the original, dont like the green, I guess after viewing alot of HDR edits, Dont like the outcome.

I need to change my ways I guess, I put original's on here and thats not too exciting to Pro's.

Last edited:
The way in which you change camera settings is in itself an 'edit'. There really is no such thing as an un-edited photo.

I prefer the second one as well, the sky is a little too purple for my tastes now though ;)

I like this better, I am not a fan of editing, but then, thats why I wont ever get very far in this site.

I mean this looks like the original, dont like the green, I guess after viewing alot of HDR edits, Dont like the outcome.

I need to change my ways I guess, I put original's on here and thats not too exciting to Pro's.

In advance, please forgive the long response, I started typing and just couldn't stop :rolleyes:

When I shot film I made the choice of what film I bought, in doing so I choose the look I wanted in the photos. Here’s a challenge: Shoot the same scene, with same settings with ASA 100 Velvia, Provia and E100, and see how they come out. They’ll all be different in one way or another and that’s because the film is doing much of the “editing” for you (Saturation contrast etc) Sure we could make changes to each of those photos when going to print in a darkroom afterwards, if we had a darkroom. These days, the darkroom is compressed into the computer.

Choosing to use camera defaults, is like choosing one type of film and sticking with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, if you like the look of the defaults. There are so many in camera variables we can change with most SLRs today though (contrast, saturation, white balance etc). Depending on the model, many of them can be stored as presets…akin to choosing a different film. Many people don’t do this, heck I really only only tweak white balance and exposure. I do agree with the premise of getting it as close to what you want in camera, at least for those two aspects. Personally, I try to only use an editing program to clean-up/enhance photos to a point, but editing can really only do so much.

I wouldn’t discount editing photos on a computer; I also wouldn’t say you won’t go far on this site. There are all kinds of experience levels here and many different points of view. I think your voice counts as much as anyone elses’. But, maybe shifting your view of what editing tools are might help. They are really like just like the dark room that we never had access to when shooting film, with the added benefit of not having to stand in the dark and monkey with all kinds of chemicals. The photo is already there in the roll (memory card), just use the darkroom (computer) to tweak it. Personally I do think people all over the web do take editing too far attempting to salvage photos, and rely on it as a crutch for improper exposure, white balance etc.. The crop tool is also over aggressively used IMO, but that is just me ;)

In the end: Are you happy with your photos? If not, what aren’t you happy about with them? Where are they falling short of your expectations? Figuring out the answer to those questions is a good step in the direction of getting where you want to go, and maybe editing is a tool you can use to get there. Asking for C&C on the boards is a good way to get help & opinions on how to get there. Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell weren’t born great photographers, I’m sure they were helped along the way by someone somewhere ;)

I think we all tend to be our own worst critics when it comes to our photos. Don’t beat yourself up over stuff or get too frustrated & discouraged.

Dave

Well said Mr. Cowell!

Snuffy, there is nothing wrong with posting the originals here. That was your vision when you took the shot so there must be something worthwhile that caught your eye. Different people have different visions from the same images all the time and that is why photography is considered an "art". Don't let others dictate how you portray your work. If you do not want comments or critiques just let us know when you post the images with a quick note at the top of the post.

SlikPix, thank you for sharing this photo. This prompted a great discussion.

Your camera automatically edits for you and how it does it depends on factory settings and your input. I used to shoot 35mm in the 70's - 80's and did most of my own darkroom printing and processing. I added filters to change WB, dodged to remove items from the shots, even used exacto knives to edit 2 together.

I have been told by many that all digital images are a bit soft straight out of camera and need some sharpening. I felt like you when I started on this site 3 years ago and have since learned that I do need to finish processing the images that I shot the same as I would have done on film

As for HDR's I like you feel that many take them WAY too far over the top, but that is by choice of how they edit the shots. Many HDR's you would not know if someone did not tell you.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back