Welcome to the new and improved forum and Server. Now using Xenforo 2!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
On 3/30/18 I upgraded the forum software from Vbulletin 4 to Xenforo. This was a grueling 18 hour process, as I had to install version 1, import all of the forum data from Vbulletin and PhotoPost and then, once that was complete and verified, I immediately upgraded to Xenforo 2, which doesn't have import functions yet.

There are several reasons for the upgrade. First of all, Vbulletin 4 is no longer supported. It had also become vulnerable to hacks, and it was becoming harder and harder to repel attacks.

The other reason is that Xenforo has plenty of new features and it's also much better suited for phones and other mobile devices.

After all of that was done and we were sure things were working, we migrated to our new, larger and faster server. Looking pretty good...

We'll be making a few more changes, and doing some edits, but I think we're done with long term outages and upgrades for now.

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
While I can't locate a full feature list (Why not Xenforo? WTH?) I can tell you that it has one feature people have been asking for for many years. We now, finally, have a LIKE BUTTON. Yep, that's right, welcome to the 21st Century. :)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the new URL. I often get asked by people in the field where my photos can be found. The new URL is much easier to remember.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I like the new URL. I often get asked by people in the field where my photos can be found. The new URL is much easier to remember.
What new URL? That hasn't changed. http://www.pnwphotos.com should get you here, same as always. You don't even need the "www", PNWphotos.com will work just fine. It will automatically bring them to the forum.

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Will you be changing Railroad Forums to Xenforo 2 as well?
Yes, and Modelrailroadforums as well. Not looking forward to that task. This place took 18 hours. I suspect they'll take 3 or 4 days each, maybe longer. That's not counting the massive prep work already underway. Ugh!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just posted my first photos to the new Bird Photography section. Much easier than the old forum!!! :)

My only suggestion would be to auto skip two lines between photos instead of one line, if that is possible.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Just posted my first photos to the new Bird Photography section. Much easier than the old forum!!! :)

My only suggestion would be to auto skip two lines between photos instead of one line, if that is possible.
Great, that's the whole idea! :) As for skipping two lines, no way to set it up automatically, but if you hit return twice, that should work.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received a complaint about the new site from someone on my list of people to whom I regularly e-mail links to my photos. He said the new site allows him to see only thumbnail photos, even though I post up full size images. If he clicks on a photo to see the full size image, he receives a message that he must first log in.

Does a person have to join the site in order to see the full size images?

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I received a complaint about the new site from someone on my list of people to whom I regularly e-mail links to my photos. He said the new site allows him to see only thumbnail photos, even though I post up full size images. If he clicks on a photo to see the full size image, he receives a message that he must first log in.

Does a person have to join the site in order to see the full size images?
Well shit... Thank you for finding that. Indeed that's how it was set up. Key word "was", I've changed it. That wasn't intentional.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I also made another change to the attachments while learning how they work. I've changed them to be 200 pixels in the longest direction, which should make them a lot easier to see. The stock setting was rather small.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good, glad I could help. If you've got folks who follow you a lot, maybe you can gently suggest they join. It's totally free, we don't ask for any personal info aside from an e-mail address. Joining would allow them to see what's new, make comments, posts likes etc.

We do ask for date of birth when you join. Federal Regulations (COPPA) require that members be over 13 to sign up for any kind of online service, even free ones, so that's what it is used for. Pro tip: We don't actually verify that info, how would we? (Shhh, don't tell the feds!) So if you have a privacy concern about using your real DOB, well, uh, maybe you can "make a typo". :) If I wasn't required to do that check, we would never ask for it at all.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
And for the final trick... Welcome to our new and improved server. After upgrading the software, it was finally compatible with current versions of php etc, and so we were able to upgrade to a faster server with more space. It should be able to handle the forum traffic quite well with room for expansion.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com