what the heck is this??

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
spotted a very strange aircraft flying over Everett harbor this afternoon... it passed almost directly overhead, and i was able to get a couple of decent photos. i've never seen any aircraft like this, with the odd ventral fins beneath the tail. anyone got any ideas what it might be?

IMG_6931%20sm_zps2ikjhhcm.jpg

IMG_6935%20sm_zpsffvuzzvz.jpg

I sent the link to Rocky's post to my buddy Bob the aviation photographer who replied with the following:

It is the FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION’s 1993 LEARJET INC 60
I knew right away from the angled down “fins” on the tail. You can also see the N - # on the engine nacelle.

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N55

Bob also sent me the following info in a follow-up e-mail:
Airlift Northwest has a Lear 31 they fly out of Boeing Field. It has the same “Ventral Fins” as your friend calls them.

Last edited:
thanks, Bill! i've never seen a bizjet with those fins under the tail before, but apparently Learjet has been using them for a while...

This morning I got another e-mail from my friend Bob who found this entry on the Arlington Airport's FaceBook page:

Blast Deflectors, Inc is currently testing the effects of placing a non-metallic blast deflector in front of AWO's Localizer. They have funded a reimbursable agreement with FAA flight inspection for an approximate 3-hour test at AWO today.

Today = Wednesday 10-7-15.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back