Why Does Full Frame Matter?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JDueckPhoto

DSC_3218-2.jpg

I've written about this topic a few times but I noticed a rant from another commentator this morning and I wanted to touch on this from a different angle. This other reviewer said it doesn't matter what gear you use to take photos, the photographer makes the difference.

Which is true.

However, if this is true, why do professionals use professional gear like the 1Dx from Canon or the D4/D5 from Nikon. Why spend $6,000 dollars on a camera if you can spend $1,500 and take "the same quality photos."

The truth is that professional gear offers some advantages and differences that are sometimes beneficial, and when it comes down to delivering paid photos, you want every advantage you can get. The above photo is a snapshot of a new 2016 Corvette Stingray I photographed for an online ad. I take usually about 10 minutes to snap photos of cars like this for the web and sometimes the sun is out, or its dark/raining and conditions are not great. I used the Nikon D750 which for my use is the best value full frame camera which in my experience has better color, better color gradients, and better (more isolating) depth of field.

I don't like the look of the crop sensor (like the Nikon D7100) photos as much but there is a place where the crop sensor cameras excel--sports and wildlife. I can put my 70-200 f/2.8 lens on the D7100 and shoot with much more range, useful f/2.8 aperture and very good image quality. To make the D750 an equal in the zoom range I'd have to either buy a different lens or put on a teleconverter TC1.4 which would create a similar zoom range but cut out my available light (f4 vs f2.8). The TC1.4 also decreases some of the image quality. So to provide a reach of 300mm at f2.8 I would have to buy a different lens for the D750 which is much more expensive.

Each camera has some benefits and I'm always surprised when a pro photographer says that phrase "gear doesn't matter" and then pulls out a $6,000 camera body.

Cheer to all you photographers who just use what works best for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed... I use a FF body with a wide lens for landscape work, and a crop body with a long lens for wildlife. Seems to cover about everything I need.

Agreed... I use a FF body with a wide lens for landscape work, and a crop body with a long lens for wildlife. Seems to cover about everything I need.

Exactly

For anyone else who hasn't seen a depth of field (DOF) calculator for full frame vs. crop. This is the math for a 28mm f1.8 lens and a similar looking image framing. You'd have to step back with the crop sensor to compensate for the zoom difference.

Canon 5D Mark III
Full Frame
28mm
F1.8
Subject distance 10'
DOF= 4.3 feet

Canon 7D
1.6x crop
28mm
F1.8
Subject distance 16' (similar field of view)
DOF= 7.01 feet

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back