Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Earlier in the day, a marsh wren put on quite a display. It must be desperate for a mate, as it spent several minutes calling from different perches.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The other avian residents of the marsh were not about to be upstaged by a mere marsh wren.

Wesley, the Anna's hummer who guards the #1 viewing platform.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Wesley's nemesis, one of the song sparrows that resides near the #1 viewing platform.
08.JPG

A permanent resident alien Canada goose.
09.JPG

Katie, the marina's resident female kingfisher, pulled up at the last moment from a dive off the breakwater.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday (5/12) I saw a pair of starlings building a nest in the crawl space above the ranger shack at Olympic Beach at the Edmonds marina.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The starling exited the nest via the hole on the left.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Our local crows and gulls usually ignore each other, but they have recently been harassing each other. I assume it is related to nesting season. Tuesday I caught an extended altercation at the marsh which got quite violent.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

More photos from Tuesday.

A male red-winged blackbird at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A male bushtit at the same location.
03.JPG

Harlequin ducks at the underwater dive park.
04.JPG

The crow-gull conflict continued on Sunset Ave.
05.JPG

Another great series, Bill....that crow/gull sequence really was violent - looks like the gull was losing out!

good stuff, Bill! may have to head down that way Friday or Saturday to see if the harlequins come in close enough for a shot or two...

I have been spending a lot of time at the marsh hoping to catch stop-overs of migrating shore birds. The good news is that Thursday (5/14) I caught two lesser yellowlegs, one greater yellowlegs, and one long-billed dowitcher together. The bad news is that the bright sunshine created heat waves radiating off the mud which made clear photos nearly impossible.

Edit: Some of our local bird watchers believe the two birds I labeled lesser yellowlegs are actually Wilson's phalaropes

01.JPG

02.JPG

Greater yellowlegs.
03.JPG

Two of the five harlequin ducks swimming off Sunset Ave.
04.JPG

The ducks use one of the logs tethered at the dive park as a base.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
I returned to the marsh before sunset in the hopes that the heat waves had subsided. All three yellowlegs had disappeared, but the dowitcher and two western(?) sanddpipers were present as were two Savannah sparrows.

Western sandpiper and killdeer
06.JPG

Long-billed dowitcher
07.JPG

08.JPG

Savannah sparrow
09.JPG

Last edited:
I posted a link on Tweeters to Thursday's photos of shore birds at the marsh and received replies from Tweetsters who believe the two birds I labeled lesser yellowlegs are actually Wilson's phalaropes. Here are more photos which unfortunately are no more clear than the first set I posted.

The brown bird is a long-billed dowitcher. The larger white bird is a greater yellowlegs. The two smaller white birds are the mystery shore birds.

03.JPG

05.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

11.JPG

There were lots of swallows flying over the marsh on Thursday. I got a few shots of some in flight, not an easy task when using the long end of the 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Terry and I went down to the fish hatchery Monday (5/18) after lunch.

One of the red-breasted sapsucker pair that has a burrow on the tall spar.
01.JPG

A pair of flickers has a burrow on the same spar.
Female
02.JPG

Male
03.JPG

04.JPG

Down at the marsh.

Male kingfisher perched on the "tree" that used to hold the martin gourds.
05.JPG

Marsh wren
06.JPG

Male red-winged blackbird perched on the tree by the #1 viewing platform.
07.JPG

A long-billed dowitcher continues to hang out at the marsh, but not close enough for good shots.
08.JPG

09.JPG

Last edited:
More birds from the marsh on Tuesday.

Swallows resting on the telephone lines by the railroad tracks. Shot with +2 exposure compensation due to the back lighting.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A male red-winged blackbird pursuing a flock of swarming starlings.
03.JPG

This male bushtit was looking for either cattail fuzz or the larvae which live in the cattail head.
04.JPG

Female bushtits have spooky yellow eyes.
05.JPG

Nice set of images Bill!

Shot with +2 exposure compensation due to the back lighting.

Interesting, I usually bump the ISO up a little to bring the subject out of a shadowy appearance in radiant back lighting and perhaps bump the shudder speed up. I usually end up with good results. I may try and + up on exposure compensation next time and see how I like that.

Chad

Nice set of images Bill!

Interesting, I usually bump the ISO up a little to bring the subject out of a shadowy appearance in radiant back lighting and perhaps bump the shudder speed up. I usually end up with good results. I may try and + up on exposure compensation next time and see how I like that. Chad

What mode are you shooting in when you do that? The exposure compensation feature of my Canons only works when I shoot in Tv or Av mode. When I need to shoot in M mode and want under/over exposure, I use fixed settings for the ISO, aperature, and shutter speed based on the camera's light meter reading. I then adjust the aperature setting or shutter speed to achieve the degree of exposure compensation I desire.

A few from Wednesday (5/20) at the marsh.

In the morning Wesley was doing what he does best. The 5III handles high ISO settings with little noise. Shot at 1/1000, f/8.0, and ISO = 3200. My "old" 7D starts getting noisy at ISO settings above 800.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Later in the afternoon, a song sparrow risked the wrath of Wesley by perching on the fence behind the boardwalk.
03.JPG

I ran into Rocky shortly before sunset. This is the same marsh wren that he photographed, taken with my 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter. The wren was watching some insects flying above him, but did not pursue them.
04.JPG

No sign of the coyote as these geese get ready to bed down for the night.
05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back