Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

great shots of the coyote, Bill! really like the one where it's peering at you over the grass... did you get any shots of the eagle taking out the crow?

great shots of the coyote, Bill! really like the one where it's peering at you over the grass... did you get any shots of the eagle taking out the crow?

Scroll to the bottom of page 15 of my Edmonds Eagles 2014-15 thread. http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?11165-Edmonds-Eagles-2014-15/page15

I was unable to get any photos of the eagle actually hitting the prey as it landed behind that lifeboat and other equipment on the other side of the fence behind the #1 viewing platform.

Last edited:
Thursday morning (6-11) I went to Mini Park in Lynnwood where swallows were skimming over Sprague Pond and occasionally splashing in the water for bugs.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I caught a rather strange sight over Edmonds Friday afternoon (6/12) as my son and I were up on the Pt. Edwards walkway. A turkey vulture and a mystery raptor were circling over town for several minutes. These shots were taken with my 5DIII + 100-400L II zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter and are heavily cropped, so you can imagine how far away the birds were.

The two birds spent several minutes soaring peacefully together.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Continued
06.JPG

At one point it looked as though the raptor attacked the vulture.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

I am not certain of the identity of the raptor. The body look and head look like a falcon, but the wings do not in several of the photos. I have never seen falcons soar and circle like this, either. If it is not a falcon, then my only other guess would be a Cooper's hawk.

Last edited:
Here are some Friday bird photos that don't require straining your eyeballs.

Male American goldfinch, the Washington state bird. I have seen a female gathering cattail fuzz at the retention pond, so I suspect the two are nesting in the area.
01.JPG

Juvie robin.
02.JPG

Two cowbirds were engaged in a courtship ritual. They were both males, so I doubt anything further transpired.
03.JPG

The gravel walkway alongside the fence which surrounds the retention pond is hummer alley where the wee birds are constantly chasing each other. Two of them passed so close between my son and me that I heard a popping sound, which was either them breaking the sound barrier or hitting each other.

A male making a dive to strafe another one. I cannot tell if it is an Anna's or a rufous.
04.JPG

A rufous female feeding.
05.JPG

Last edited:
good stuff, Bill, especially the first shot of the Anna's feeding, and the waxwing... nicely done, sir!

Sunday afternoon (6/14) my son and I paid a visit to Pine Ridge Park in the hopes of seeing pileated woodpeckers and the barred owl. We saw neither, but we did locate a flicker burrow. A male kept taking something out of the burrow, possibly old nesting material. We never heard any sounds coming out of the burrow.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
We also spotted a group of juvie wood ducks with their mother on the far side of the large pond. The juvies are to the left on the log, the mother is to the right below the log.
03.JPG

Juvies
04.JPG

Mother
05.JPG

Wood ducks are the only duck with claws on their feet.
06.JPG

The water was high in the marsh during my Wednesday evening (6/17) visit.

A family of crows was perched on the stand which held the marten gourds. It looked like both parents and three siblings.
01.JPG

One of two herons, the first I have seen at the marsh in a while.
02.JPG

Three kingfishers were present on the south side of the marsh. I believe all three were females. Mother + two daughters?

One was perched on the wire which overhangs Willow Creek.
03.JPG

Two more were perched in a dead tree next to the creek. One is at the top of the photo and one is at the bottom.
04.JPG

Last edited:
It would be fun to find their burrows - wonder if the burrow are near where they were a few years ago.

Thursday afternoon (6/18) a song sparrow was making regular food deliveries near the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. The bird would land in a deep clump of grass and fly out a minute later sans bug.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Sunday (6/21) my son and I drove up to Pt. Edwards to photograph the summer solstice sunset. We got there about two hours early, so we walked down to the retention pond at the end of the walkway to photograph some solstice hummers. I shot these with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I removed the 1.4x teleconverter to so the lens would focus quicker on these fast little devils.

Female rufous:
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Female Anna's:
04.JPG

05.JPG

I have yet to get photos of two hummers chasing each other. They are just too fast.

Monday evening (6/22/15) I walked around Southwest County Park in Edmonds while my son was at tennis. I was hoping to find a barred owl, but I found a Douglas' squirrel instead. The Douglas's squirrel is native to the PNW, but is being displaced by the more aggressive Eastern gray squirrel, an introduced/invasive species.

It may be more accurate to say the squirrel found me first, as it spent several minutes chewing me out with its alarm bark while I located it. I have seen how the squirrel's incessant barking can work to its (fatal) detriment when it is being hunted by a barred owl, another invasive species. Like most owls, the barred owl uses its keen hearing as well as its sight to hunt.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (6/24) saw a lot of different birds at the marsh.

Cowbirds, an unwelcome sight. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests for the "adoptive" parents to raise.
01.JPG

Marsh wrens continue to build nests.
02.JPG

Song sparrow.
03.JPG

Immature violet-green swallow (?)
04.JPG

Adult violet-green swallow.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back